Thread: Lifting a PM 66 off of mobile base

Lifting a PM 66 off of mobile base

I just picked up a 1976 PM66 a few weeks ago. I travel a lot for work so I haven't had a chance to work on it that steady. When I unloaded the saw a friend helped me tip it right on to the mobile base. I have aligned the tabled and blade perfectly however now that I am getting ready to make my right extension I have noticed that the saw really needs to sit more level on the base (it may need to be shimmed). My question is:Can I safely (meaning no damage) lift the saw as one unit off of the base by the table either with a chain fall or with the assistance of my 3 strong sons or should I remove the table and lift the cabinet and motor without the table attached. I suppose I am wondering if it would put too much stress on the three bolts that hold the table to the cabinet. Sorry that this ended up more wordy than I intended but I wanted to make sure that my question was clearly understood.
    Thanks

I don't know the question to your answer but if you separate the table from the cabinet.Take notice of any shims that fall away.They need to go back in place.Its will affect your 45 bevel cuts.I found out the hard way.Good luck with your new saw and be safe.

Blog Entries
    I'm not familiar with PM66 saws, but lifting a TS by the cast iron top is generally not recommended. There are probably leveling feet under the saw that can level it on your mobile base.
    Lee Schierer
    USNA '71
    Go Navy!

My advice, comments and suggestions are free, but it costs money to run the site. If you found something of value here please give a little something back by becoming a contributor! Please Contribute

A couple weeks ago I purchased a new unused Grizzly 690 off Craiglist and wanted to set it on a mobile base. The saw was already fully assembled when I purchased it. I slide it off a drop ramp trailer onto a flat top dolly. I removed the fence, rails and table extension and rolled it into the shop. With 2 canoe straps under the top, I picked it up with a come-along and set it on the new mobile base. Easy as pie. The come-along was attached to a strap around a couple ceiling joints. photos belowDSC_0062.jpgDSC_0061.jpgDSC_0063.jpg

If it is like my PM64B it has adjustable feet on the base. The easiest way to level it would be at the floor

You can lift it by the table but make sue you have help which it sounds like you do. Lift it straight up and kick out the base. Just make sure it's where you want it.
    Don

As a PM66 owner, I have the full cast iron top and I'm surprised that all that cast iron is held with only three bolts. If I were doing it, I would remove the top. That will give you a chance to look under the hood. When I bought my saw, the set screws in the elevator ant tilt screws were coming loose. It gave me a chance to check the belts and pulleys too.

John

I did all that when I got the saw John, as well as zeroed in the blade alignment, miter gauge etc. I just didnt realize at the time that the saw wasnt sitting quite level in the base. I suppose I was attempting to justify not removing the top again and having to realign everything however better safe than sorry . I am suprised that there are only 3 bolts myself. I guess I have decided to remove the top. I can easily hoist the cabinet off of the base with a chain fall and sling by myself and i wont have to attempt to get my sons to all come over at the same time.

Henry

I see no harm in lifting it by the table. I did it with my Grizzly cabinet saw, also with the help of my boys.

A PM66 has some fairly heavy rails and cast iron table wings. I doubt that you could hurt either one by using them to lift the saw.

Or you could rock the saw and place shims of 1x4s and 2x4s under each side until it is high enough to remove the mobile base. That is how I would do it if I am by myself. My son is only 7 so he is not much help yet.

Steve