Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Newbie Question on Miter Gauge use

I think the bigger issue is that you will find the stock miter gauge might not be that accurate, smooth, or wiggle-free.
    I for one vote that you make a good sled for wide stock crosscutting, and get a good aftermarket gauge for quick cross cutting dimensional.

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I must respectfully but strongly disagree with this assessment. I have experienced kickback on more than one occasion using a miter gauge but never using a sled. What caused the kickback was the workpiece getting skewed with respect to the blade due to inadequate lateral support. Using a sled, the workpiece is supported along most of its length and has no tendance to skew.
    I think that you misread what he said... .He said that the kickback was while ripping against a fence, not while using a sled.

That said, I have not had a kickback with a sled or a miter gauge. I have had kickback while ripping. I feel safer with the sled (so I agree with you on all accounts). Also, I have not had a kickback since I bought my SawStop, which has much better safety features to avoid kickback than my previous saw.

Very cool in-feed support table/jig Joe. Thanks for sharing.

Tom

Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Pitonyak View Post
    I think that you misread what he said... .He said that the kickback was while ripping against a fence, not while using a sled.

That said, I have not had a kickback with a sled or a miter gauge. I have had kickback while ripping. I feel safer with the sled (so I agree with you on all accounts). Also, I have not had a kickback since I bought my SawStop, which has much better safety features to avoid kickback than my previous saw.
    Yep. .

Just how bad is the stock Grizzly miter gauge? Would going aftermarket make a huge difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Prashun Patel View Post
    I think the bigger issue is that you will find the stock miter gauge might not be that accurate, smooth, or wiggle-free.
    I for one vote that you make a good sled for wide stock crosscutting, and get a good aftermarket gauge for quick cross cutting dimensional.

that's for you to gauge...

For me, the aftermarket gauge I bought (Incra SE) has less slop, a great fence, and precise angle adjustments. This doesn't solve your original problem, tho.