Thread: WADKIN BURSGREEN BGP 1200 Panelsaw year of manufacture ?

WADKIN BURSGREEN BGP 1200 Panelsaw year of manufacture ?

Hi,

I just acquired the mentioned saw, and I'm just curious of when it was made.

I was given the impression that this can be determined from its serial number.... which is...

12BGP 681305

I'm thinking maybe that means it was made 1968 (?)

Its 3phase, approx 5hp, 12" blade. Riving knife...Seems to be able to take a 1200x2400 ply sheet.

appreciate any thoughts, thanks.

Jake
    http://jdarvallwindsorchairs.com

Yes that is correct the date of birth is 1968(not all wadkin tags can be dated this way or by the test number). BTW B stands for Bursgreen and so its a Bursgreen model 1/2 panel saw of which there were about 5 all starting from the Sagar Bursgreen AGS base. Bursgreen started out in the 30s and it was not until Sagar( a very large firm, as large or larger than Wadkin and with as much history)Sagar made them a Parent company(Sagar developments) and It was not until in the early 50s did the firm begin to do well in the industry with its welded plate model of building machines. There goal was to make light wight machines from weld plate(when every one else where building cast in batches)and to this end were very successful.Bursgeen made some very specialized machines like wooden heel making machines for the shoe industry and were becoming well know around the world. I in fact have two early Bursgreen machines(1951) pre Wadkin made in the same factory that wadkin took over. Wadkin in about Dec?1956 bought out Sagar because orders were bursting at the seams and so with that take over got the very innovative firm of Bursgreen that was to be know as Wadkin Bursgeen.

At the Canadian woodworking fourm in vintage tools there are a number of experts for Wadkin and UK machines in general. Its has become the go to place for UK machinery. Matty Melbourne the resident catalog collector has the largest collection of dirty paper(manuals)in the world on UK machine and could date it in a catalog cut. if you wish to find out more then this is as good as place as any in fact if you have been around the net you already know that.

Have you had your Wadkin today?

jack
    English mahines
    Last edited by jack forsberg; 06-29-2013 at 8:52 AM.

Thank Jack. So its a 68 model.

I spent the day realigning tables until I got a nice cut. Getting the fixed table flush with the sliding table took patience, but overall very impressed that such an old machine can be adjusted quite finely. Best cut I've had for a long time.

thanks for the referals.

Jake
    http://jdarvallwindsorchairs.com