Thread: Need advice for new shop layout

Need advice for new shop layout

In August I will be moving my shop into a new building and I am working on laying out my tool locations.

I have attached a screenshot of the sketchup drawing I have been playing around with. Any advice, suggestions, or comments are welcome.

The only existing interior walls is the one that separates the office and shop, and the walls for the bathroom. I plan on building the wall (as visible on the drawing) that separates the shop and garage area. It would nice to have a larger open shop area but there are a few reasons why I believe the separation is necessary:

In addition to woodworking, I fabricate concrete countertops (hence, the concrete mixer and washout container). The 2 tables in the garage area are for concrete fabrication and wet polishing. This can get messy and I would prefer the separation between the concrete work and woodworking work.

The shop is not currently air conditioned (the office area does have central air conditioning, however). I have a commercial portable air conditioner to cool the shop area but I believe the total square footage is too much for the air conditioner to keep up with. The building is pretty well insulated but the roll up door does not seal too well. Also, all the conditioned air would rush out whenever I roll up the door.

If I separate the shop and garage areas, I could use the garage area for finishing and painting and be able to close it off to the rest of the shop to protect the projects from dust while they dry.

I can use the garage area to store jobsite materials (concrete, drywall mud, paint, insulation, rebar, plumbing and electrical fixtures, etc) that don't really belong cluttering up a woodworking shop.

I would like to plan ahead for the future addition of sanding equipment as those will probably be my next big purchase. I am moving into the space in August but would like to nail down a layout soon so that I can price and order the dust collection duct work. Thanks in advance.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michael Zerance; 06-30-2013 at 4:28 AM.