Thread: Questions about Roland GX-24 cutter

Questions about Roland GX-24 cutter

I have this cutter and have started doing logo shirts on vinyl with a perimeter cut. Just using cut sheets (Neenah)It prints registrations marks and reads it for the cut. For the life of me I can't figure out how to set the marks so I can use the full 8.5x11 sheet. It seems It never finishes the cut on the right side and the top. Any thoughts on this would be appreciated!
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

I have not used that model, nor their Cut Studio software. My Graphtech, and the Mutoh before it had sensors that determined the available cut area, from 3" to 30" wide. How big is your image? Whether using sensors or software to tell the material size, you are losing at least 1" in each direction due to rollers. In your case, that means an image over 7-1/2 x 10 will not cut the edge that's over. Your manual should tell the actual roller loss or you can experiment to determine it. On a short material I can sometimes cheat by having the roller
    slightly over the actual edge of the material. Might be worth a try, just leave enough to keep it tracking straight.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

I have yet to spend the time to master the Registration Marks on my Graphtec FC7000 yet. I had a few fails and moved to a different project. But in my search for the "How To" some of the things I was doing wrong was the placement of the marks too close to the first row of cut stickers. I too was trying to get a small sheet to work.

A Carrier Sheet was suggested too for small sheets that might help too.... Placing the smaller sheet on a carrier.

Good Luck,

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

It's frustrating, as it seems that those instructions were made by engineers and not users. It's really confusing and haven't been able to find good videos on how to play with the settings. Like It have to set a adjustment" eveytime I cut a perimeter cut. It seems there should be a way to set it like in a driver preference. It to testing to get it right on, and it really is right on, but I have to make sure I change the default every time. It's hard to believe that I can only get about a 6"x8" area out of an 8.5"x11" sheet..
    Such a waste of material. This is a very good cutter though, I just wish it was easier to figure it out.
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

Marty

Have you called Coastal Business Supply. Ask for Matt or Kelly.

There may be an issue with your printed registration marks as the sensor is apparently very picky about how the marks are made. In looking at a tutorial it appears that the registration marks must be inside the pinch rollers thus making for a very narrow image when working with an 8.5 x 11 sheet. (actually, I think the default for the registration marks on an 8.5 x 11 sheet is about 3/4" in from the edge of the paper)
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I think Mike Nailed it.... "Within the Pinch Rollers".... I am thinking that was my problem...

AL
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".