Thread: Planking gauge

Planking gauge

Years ago I found this article in a December 1941 issue of Yachting magazine that showed this marking gauge but I only got around to making it a week ago. It is incedably useful so I thought I'd share it here. I modified it a bit as you'll see, but nothing that can't be changed. This is the first drawing from the article.

And this is what I made. I added the pencil on the back side to scribe a line parallel to an edge. I also set a section of some bronze half oval to take the wear.

This is in use scribing an overhang for a plywood deck pattern.

This is scribing an inset edge.

The same inset edge but the rough pattern stock overhangs, no problem.

The pattern piece now cut to the line.

This is the other drawing from the article showing it used to mark a plank to keel joint.

I highly recommend taking the time to make this tool.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Very nice Jim, Old School works! Thanks for sharing, great pictures.
    Mac

Sweet! I made one years ago to my own design but I like this one better. Thanks for sharing.

Thanks Dave, I since made another one without the pencil on the back side, just a notch to index the pencil point. I think I like it better.

Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Wow, almost 2400 views and only two comments and my relpy/update. Has anybody made one for themselves yet? Just wondering.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Jim, That tool looks great and it is amazing how a simple tool can make life so much easier. I am just embarking on my first build (slowly buy surely) a francois Vivier design called Beg Meil. I will be constructing one of these for sure as the planking has me a bit concerned. I assume that this is used as well for building clinker boats primarily for marking the spiles. I also am going to try and track down this article as it looks like an interesting read. Thanks for the post great job!!
    "A true man does not only stand up for himself, he stands up for those that do not have the ability to".
    William Lyon MacKenzie King

I'm using the gauge a lot on a project right now and that over/under feature of the brass hook works like a charm. The fact that the hook flexes up and down makes it easy to keep the pencil in contact with the wood. I hadn't counted on that.
    Bill PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the page and some other info.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Thanks Jim. I sent you a PM with my contact info. have a good one.

BS
    "A true man does not only stand up for himself, he stands up for those that do not have the ability to".
    William Lyon MacKenzie King