Thread: Albany/Utica places of interest to woodworkers??

Albany/Utica places of interest to woodworkers??

Looks like I'll be making quite a few trips along I90 through Mass out towards the Utica area as my daughter will be transferring to a college near Utica in the fall... Any particular places of interest to woodworkers? Things like sawmills or lumber sources, tool dealers (especially older tools), musuems, etc? Have travelled this route a few times, but never had the opportunity to make a few stops... Hope to change that on these future trips
    Thanks,

Roger

Talking

There are many things to do that may be of interest. Utica Club Brewery tour is interesting. You could take route 8 or 28 on the way back and go through the Adironadacks. Blue Mountain Mususem is got great logging, wooden boat and Hand tool exhibits. You will be in the old furniture area. Harden furniture in McConnelsville, Stickley in Syracuse and Ethan Allen in Boonville. There are sawmills on every corner in the Tug hill region Mostly cherry, maple and ash. Can get some good buys if you are willing to buy shorts. The furniture places only take 8 ft. sticks. The mills then sell the 5-6-7 footers at bargin prices. Check NYS DEC, Forestry for a list of mills and what they cut/sell.

The whole valley from Albany to fort Stanwix in Rome is full of Revolu. War museums. North of Albany is a Shaker Village. Rutland in Vermont has an antique coop that is a hand tool haven.
    If you ever decide to go the route 28 way back, you could always stop at my dust pile. Coffee, soda, or beer on the dock. Sun costs extra this year.

Hi Roger,

Well, if you like Shaker museums, you hit the jackpot!

I spent a couple weekends in Albany, and within an hour of there, you can see lots of cool Shaker stuff.

The Albany airport is built on the remains of Watervliet, and there are a few buildings still intact that you can tour. www.crisny.org

An hour or so to the east, you will find Pittsfield, MA, home to Hancock Shaker Village, a must see.

http://www.hancockshakervillage.org/

On the way to Hancock, check out the site of the Great Stone Barn, you will drive right by it on your way to Hancock from Albany. There are a few houses and furniture there, and a large workbench in one of the buildings that is worth a look. I was last there several years ago, and at that time, they were planning to merge that location with another Shaker museum that had a lot of stuff, but was not located on a historical Shaker site. They had drawings of how they were going to turn the shell of the stone barn into a museum complex. I am not sure how this is progressing.

http://mountlebanonshakervillage.org/

Another place is the one where John Shea got most of his pics of furniture for his book. It is a the Shaker museum mentioned above, and it is quite good as well. It is located in Old Chatham, NY. They even have a workshop room that is worth seeing as well.

shakermuseumandlibrary.org

If you don't like Shaker, I can't help you, but if you do, check these places out.

If you must prioritize, got to Hancock first, then Old Chatham, then the Stone Barn site, then Watervliet.

There is a NY state museum in downtown Albany that is supposed to have some Shaker pieces as well, but they were in storage last time I was there, so I was unable to view them.

Hope this helps, and I didn't overload you!
    Martin, Granbury, TX
    Student of the Shaker style

Tom - Thanks for the info and the invite...would love to detour back that way some trip and take you up on the offer. I'll keep my eye out for the mills...and the other sites also sound interesting!

Martin - I do love Shaker, anw while I've been to the NH and Maine villages, I've never been to Hancock, or the NY sites - great idea!!

Looks like several trips over the next 3 years, so I'll have the chance to get to quite a few places.

Thanks,

Roger

To Tom's list I'll add a trip to Cooperstown as well. They have the Farmer's Museum which I've enjoyed in the past. Of course, the Baseball Hall of Fame is there if you're so inclined. Having lived near there for 30+ years I never went to BBHOF but made more than one trip to the Farmers Museum. Nice parks on a beautiful lake. If you want to stay a night there I'd go to the Otesaga Hotel.

Info on the Farmers Museum is at http://www.farmersmuseum.org/

The Otesaga Hotel: http://www.otesaga.com/

I spent many days on the lake at Cooperstown and have found the area to be quite pleasant.

Bob Wilkerson
    Richmond, VA