Thread: G0604ZX delivered

G0604ZX delivered

I took delivery of my new jointer on Tuesday, put it together on Wednesday and smiled today. Course it was not all peaches and cream as UPS didn't do a very good job. First there was no tracking information and no phone call to schedule a delivery time. Fortunately I was home when he pulled up. I had paid for a tail gate delivery but no such luck so I rounded up a couple of neighbors and we got it done. The heavy box was pretty well trashed and it was with some trepidationn that I opened it. The styro foam was broken up in several places and parts had shifted but nothing major appeared damaged. I called Grizzly and to their credit they are refunding my tailgate delivery charge. I have also sent them pictures of the box and the three damaged handles and assorted nicks and dings.

In any event I got it all together and it seems to work fine other than one bent handle which will not allow me to properly lock down the infeed table. After calibration of the tables and fence I did run through a piece of oak and it made a very smooth cut with a perfect square on two sides. I don't want to use it more than this until I get the handles replaced.

I was impressed with the quietness of the jointer and the almost complete lack of any vibration. It should have no problem passing the nickel test. What a step up from my last jointer which I had owned for 20+ years.
    Last edited by Gordon Eyre; 07-04-2013 at 1:17 PM. Reason: Correct typo
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

May it serve you well!

I have the 8" version of that and I have been quite pleased with it.
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Thanks Ken, here are a couple of pictures of the damage:

image-2463917937.jpg

image-2832003360.jpg

image-4264358735.jpg
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Gordon,

Sorry to see that but that's easily remedied!

One thing I might suggest. There have been a number of threads on these jointers where people have had trouble with the setscrews loosening shortly after the jointer was put into service. I took the time while I was setting up and adjusting mine. I removed the setscrews, put some "blue" Loctite "small thread removable" thread locker on them. I have had mine for nearly 3 years and haven't had a problem.

Obviously I was talking about the setscrews on the drive pulleys at the motor and cutter head.

I suspect the vibration of traveling by ship loosens them. I know that vibration was a major consideration and problem for the shipboard electronics when I was in the US Navy.
    Last edited by Ken Fitzgerald; 07-04-2013 at 1:37 PM.
    Ken

Good suggestion Ken, I will do that.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Congratulations Gordon, I wish you many years of happiness with it. I got a coupon in my email so I'll be ordering the 490x before the day is over I just have to get myself to spend the money

Mark,

The G0490X is the model I have. It's been a joy to use.
    Ken

Blog Entries
    I too have the G0490X and as you state, the quietness is kinda spooky at first. I run my jointer a fair amount for a hobbyist and didn't have to rotate the cutters till somewhere around the 18 month mark IIRC. During that same time I would have hsarpened a set of HSS knives to the point of replacement. somewhere around the 24 month mark the additional cost of the spiral head paid for itself and I still have three sides to go ;-)

Sorry about the rough handling. I have been very lucky but, I suppose some of that is living on the coast so things don't get off-loaded and reloaded as much maybe? All the things that took a beating are pretty easily remedied and Grizzly has always been more than helpful with any parts I felt needed replacing; no shipping damage but, I had a fence with a bad cast mark on a face once. Quickly replaced.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Congrats, Gordon. Four months ago, I bought the smaller 6" with spiral cutter, the G0452Z, and I absolutely love it. Quiet. Minimal vibration. Cuts finish smooth. I was shocked at how well this thing functioned. The fence is a bit finicky to set up but now that it is square, it's fine. Luckily, UPS used a contractor to deliver the unit and he was great. No damage anywhere. Enjoy your 604ZX.

Thanks Cliff, it is fun to get new tools. It was delivered on my birthday so that was special.
    Best Regards,

Gordon

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Furjanic View Post
    Congratulations Gordon, I wish you many years of happiness with it. I got a coupon in my email so I'll be ordering the 490x before the day is over I just have to get myself to spend the money
    Thanks Mark, hope you enjoy yours as well.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    I too have the G0490X and as you state, the quietness is kinda spooky at first. I run my jointer a fair amount for a hobbyist and didn't have to rotate the cutters till somewhere around the 18 month mark IIRC. During that same time I would have hsarpened a set of HSS knives to the point of replacement. somewhere around the 24 month mark the additional cost of the spiral head paid for itself and I still have three sides to go ;-)

Sorry about the rough handling. I have been very lucky but, I suppose some of that is living on the coast so things don't get off-loaded and reloaded as much maybe? All the things that took a beating are pretty easily remedied and Grizzly has always been more than helpful with any parts I felt needed replacing; no shipping damage but, I had a fence with a bad cast mark on a face once. Quickly replaced.
    I know what you mean, this will be a whole new experience not having to sharpen blades and then try and set them properly. Glad you are enjoying your 490X.
    Best Regards,

Gordon