Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Double Stick tape---Good source for best value

Double Stick tape---Good source for best value

I just ran out of double stick tape. Can't live without it, stocked up a few years back on a sale, need more soon. I started looking, found prices all over the board. I'm wondering where the best source might be. I didn't see any on Amazon that looked quite right. Any suggestions? I'd rather not pay more in shipping than in tape if possible.

I've been happy with the Frost King double stick tape available in the weather strip section at Home Depot. It's pretty inexpensive--I think around $7-8 for a good sized roll. I've used it a fair bit for template routing without complaint.
    HERE it iis.

Edit--It's the shrink wrap tape, second row down, first on the left. Although its called shrink wrap tape, it's really for taping shrink wrap onto windows.
    Last edited by david brum; 07-06-2013 at 9:36 PM.

Carpet tape. You can get miles of it for not too much $$$. Comes in different strengths. Great for holding patterns onto wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Floyd Mah View Post
    Carpet tape. You can get miles of it for not too much $$$. Comes in different strengths. Great for holding patterns onto wood.
    Ditto. I use a lot of it and get it at Walmart...cheap.
    Cody

Logmaster LM-1 sawmill, 30 hp Kioti tractor w/ FEL, Stihl 290 chainsaw, 300 bf cap. Solar Kiln

Quote Originally Posted by Cody Colston View Post
    Ditto. I use a lot of it and get it at Walmart...cheap.
    Cody.....you don't know how much I hated to read that. I do my best to evade going to Walmart.....LOL! Thanks for information!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Peter,
    The below is from another thread on same subject. It's been another year and this is still the best double sided tape I have ever used.
    "I used to try and use double sided carpet tape and any other double sided tape I could find at local big box stores. I read on a thread here(don't remember exact one) about a double sided tape that is a crepe type paper with adhesive. I found it and have been using it for about a year and it works great. Holds firm but releases without too much pressure and leaves no residue. In fact, it's so easy to use, I find myself finding new ways to use it. Holding sandpaper onto a block/cork/soft back, etc.
    The trick is also gradually finding out how much/or little is needed to hold items in place. Last night I was shaping small parts for a small box base. Using oscillating spindle sander to sand out arcs. It was on Brazilian Cherry(not an easy wood to sand) and very small pieces of the tape held the small strip (7" X 1/2" x 1/2") in place.
    Link is below. No affiliation, just a very satisfied customer."

Jim

http://www.findtape.com/product192/J...CC%2b%2bDCP-01

I'm using double sided 'turner's tape' from WoodCraft to hold some router templates in place. Very strong when it comes to lateral pressure, very little strength in tension so the templates come up easily. The tape comes off easily with no residue. Great stuff, not cheap though.

Link is dead

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Tobias View Post
    Peter,
    The below is from another thread on same subject. It's been another year and this is still the best double sided tape I have ever used.
    "I used to try and use double sided carpet tape and any other double sided tape I could find at local big box stores. I read on a thread here(don't remember exact one) about a double sided tape that is a crepe type paper with adhesive. I found it and have been using it for about a year and it works great. Holds firm but releases without too much pressure and leaves no residue. In fact, it's so easy to use, I find myself finding new ways to use it. Holding sandpaper onto a block/cork/soft back, etc.
    The trick is also gradually finding out how much/or little is needed to hold items in place. Last night I was shaping small parts for a small box base. Using oscillating spindle sander to sand out arcs. It was on Brazilian Cherry(not an easy wood to sand) and very small pieces of the tape held the small strip (7" X 1/2" x 1/2") in place.

Jim

Blog Entries
    The link did go to the website and what a fascinating collection of tapes!

This should get you to the double sided crepe with acrylic or rubber adhesive. I suspect the acrylic has a higher bond strength and the rubber easier to remove but I didn't research it on the web site.

http://www.findtape.com/category43/d...-flatback.aspx

Peter,

Jim

Was there any information on whether it was the DCP-01 (rubber adhesive) or DCP-02 (acrylic adhesive)?

I've found plenty of double-stick that holds like the dickens; I'm looking for something that lets go easier.

For all, as a work-around using overly-sticky tape, I've learned to put clear packing tape on my pieces (ideally with one ended reaching beyond the joint and folded over to give a handle) and use double-stick to hold those together.

It's not ideal but doesn't leave you with sticky residue on either surface or trying to scrape the foam off if it's foam-filled.

Just my $0.02.. YMMV.

Jim in Alaska
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

jim what tape are you calling the best.thanks jim.

JVCC DCP-02 Double Coated Crepe Paper Tape (Acrylic Adhesive)

This is the one, I believe. Not home right noq. Will check later.
    Jim

JVCC DCP-02 Double Coated Crepe Paper Tape (Acrylic Adhesive)

This is the one, I believe. Not home right noq. Will check later.
    Jim

Jim, that looks and reads just like the one I've been using, thanks much for that link. I use a tape at work with a blue plastic backing, very sticky, hard to remove from work, nearly destroys templates when removing, will lift mahogany grain randomly, and the blue backing is nearly impossible to peel, plus you have to cut it with a sharp knife, tough cloth stuff, nasty product. Looks like their Nashau brand. I've used spec brand, thats a little pricy but performs pretty well, I've used the wood craft brand too, saw a price when looking of $19/per roll for 3/4".....who do they think they are kidding? If I bought tape like that I wouldn't have any money left for wood! Ouch. I'm pretty sure looking at my records that I bought the last batch from Highland Hardware, real easy to rip by hand, holds aggressively but not so much that it ruins work, never an issue with residue come finishing time.

Well this DCP-02 looks like just the thing, and the price is more than reasonable. I don't do any turning, so I don't need that kind of adhesion. I do some pattern routing, I need a tape there on occasion, for the shaper there is not a tape alive I'd trust to hold the work to a template when my hands are involved, its solid hold downs and stops there, destaco's on a jig. I appreciate all the responses, cool to see how many different ways guys are getting it done. I'm thinking this is my new tape source.

It depends on what you need it to do. There are some tapes that are really strong but leave residue behind, or pull out wood fiber when you remove them, etc. If you need that much strength then you might have to put up with those things. The turner's tape sold in woodworking outlets is pretty good. The best stuff I have used is the tape from Stewart MacDonald (luthier supply). It's not inexpensive by any stretch, but it holds great, leaves no residue, and doesn't tear up grain when removing it. I love that stuff (and I need to go order some more).

I have used the Duck brand double side carpet tape for about 10 years and now on maybe my 3rd roll. I have found that a little does work often better than a lot and will cut the 2" wide tape to 1" and then use short segments. I have bought the "turners" double stick but find it thicker and have been just as happy with the carpet tape. I also buy the Duck brand at Wal-Mart, but you shop where you can.