Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: chrome vs firefox

chrome vs firefox

Right now I am in the process of switching to chrome after using firefox for a long time. the main reason is this browser is faster and less complicated. Who is using firefox and who is using chrome and would you switch? I like chrome so far but there are few things that i don't like.

Blog Entries
    I have not used Chrome. I have used Firefox. Mostly I use Safari. Each one likely has its own high points and low points.

My only reason for using more than one is sometimes Safari doesn't handle certain websites well. There are still some web site programmers that feel if you do not use their browser of choice you should be able to see their site(s). One example is ebay. To correctly set up an auction on ebay required my using Firefox. At the time Safari didn't work. I haven't tried since then, but it is not likely they changed just because of my complaint.

A friend did mention that the reason he uses multiple browsers is because many of the news sites that only allow so many views per month before requiring payment use the browser's cookies to count your visits. Different browsers have different groups of cookies. This allows him to visit more times than is permitted with a single browser.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Chrome is my default but, many mainstream websites are picky. I use four browsers at work as different tools are designed (or certified) for different browsers. I.E. is, of course, now almost totally useless except for playing around. Firefox properly "windows" several troublesome products but, Chrome with an Ad-Blocker is always faster for the non-product-specific things I do like visiting this forum. This may not be true for the things you do.
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    I have not used Chrome. I have used Firefox. Mostly I use Safari. Each one likely has its own high points and low points.

A friend did mention that the reason he uses multiple browsers is because many of the news sites that only allow so many views per month before requiring payment use the browser's cookies to count your visits. Different browsers have different groups of cookies. This allows him to visit more times than is permitted with a single browser.

jtk
    Thanks, Jim,for passing that little tidbit on. I'll have to try it.
    Paul

I used ff, chrome, and ie. Chrome is my favorite. Ie is imho the most intuitive but its fat and bloated. Chrome has stayed lean and mean for me.

I use Chrome, and like it.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

+1 I use chrome on all my devices. The big bonus is your Google account will sync everything between devices, very convenient.

I am another Chrome user. I have very few problems with it compared to a couple of others like FireFox

I use FF and chrome at home. Mostly chrome because it syncs between my laptop, phones and tablets. I do have to use FF on my android devices if a site has flash content, like a news site with video...

At work I'm forced to use ie and I feel like I'm being punished by having to use it...

I tried Chrome with the anticipation that it runs faster than the others. I didn't find that to be true. For the past 2+ years I've used WaterFox. It is the 64 bit unofficial version of FireFox. Fast and seems to be very clean for me. (Note: I'm not a techie, or a heavy user.) I have to use IE for my GM training sites as they won't work properly with anything else. I still have Chrome installed, but haven't used it since a contest last winter where a site would allow me to vote twice on each of the 3 browsers every 4 hours, once in regular mode, and once in private mode. There is another contest ongoing now, but I haven't done the multiple voting this time. Guess I've gotten lazy. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...Exclusively Irish! When Irish Eyes are smiling....They're usually up to something!!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas.
    No, I'm not an electrician. Any information I share is purely what I would do myself. If in doubt, hire an electrician!
    Member of the G0691 fan club!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...Most likely I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, s3.

Mostly a Firefox user, ideologically I would use chrome more, but inexplicably, I find it harder to use. Haven't willingly used IE for years. I must admit it drives me nuts that so many websites are not standards compliant in order to render properly in Internet Explorer. So I do keep it around, for all those "broken" sites.
    Last edited by paul cottingham; 07-07-2013 at 10:26 PM.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Clark View Post
    +1 I use chrome on all my devices. The big bonus is your Google account will sync everything between devices, very convenient.
    For you and the NSA.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    For you and the NSA.
    Well played, my paranoid and truthful friend!
    Well played indeed.
    Paul

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Meiser View Post
    For you and the NSA.
    Yeah, but then again we all pretty much knew all along that privacy and the Internet are mutually exclusive. You have nothing to worry about. The guy that authorized Prism claims that civil liberties could not be jeopardized. Wink.
    Measure twice, cut three times, start over. Repeat as necessary.

FF and IE both crashed and burned on my wife's laptop.
    (Under the hood, FF and IE are like two peas in a pod.)
    I tried to download Opera for her, but, I forget why that never happened.
    I stuck Chrome on it and she's been using that for about a year now.
    "Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." - John Lennon