Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: best material for shop walls?

best material for shop walls?

I have a 3 car unfinished garage. LOML recently gave me a 20,000 BTU window AC for the shop. Here in TX, the heat is so oppressive that the AC isn't going to do much unless I finish in the shop. I plan on putting sheetrock and insulation on the ceiling ASAP. After the ceiling I'll insulate and cover the walls but I am hesitant to put sheetrock on the walls. The only reason for covering the walls is for insulation. I'm not crazy about sheetrock on the walls b/c it is so hard to attach things to the wall (lumber rack, etc).

What are your favorite materials for shop walls? It seems like I've seen some pictures with peg board. What about OSB plywood, which is almost as cheap as sheetrock, it seems like it would be easy to install and better for attaching things to the wall.

3/4" T & G OSB subfloor

I used 3/4" T & G OSB subfloor for the wall in my basement shop. I screwed it every foot with 2" screws.

The beauty of that, as you alluded to, is that when I want to hang something - I just screw it to the wall.

If you wanted to, you could add bracing between the wall studs at ~6 1/2' high and then attach cleats all around at that height for even more over-engineered strength when hanging things.

I've never been accused of under-engineering anything...

Cheers,
    -Mike

I have sheetrock which will be coming off to insulate behind it, hopefully this summer. Just a few thoughts here, you might want to add extra 2x4 studs and maybe cross peices for any area where wieght might be or an area where you will be hanging cabinets. That is one thing I plan to do.
    I also dont know about TX but I understand here in Oh I have to put drywall up for fire protection, I can add whatever over that but drywall has to be the base.

I used drywall. It is much cheaper than osb [around here] and I think looks a lot better. I painted it white and my shop is significantly brighter. I attatch everything to the walls with french cleats. I installed a cleat around the entire room at 7' height. I have also installed other ones at lower heights. I have a small stack of cleat material sitting around for any future changes. Good luck. Peter

Tom,

I would go with OSB on the walls. I still would not want to attach anything real heavy to just the OSB. If you are talking about attaching a lumber rack or cabinets to the wall, I would still hook them to studs, not the OSB. The OSB is great for haning up small things, you can do it anywhere.

Good luck!!
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

I used OSB 7/16" when I did my shop walls. I then sprayed the whole project with white latex paint that I bought at an auction for $2 a gallon. Sorta made the project pretty cheap to do. The osb will hold a bit more dust than sheet rock but sure is a lot more durable and in the long run durability is a more important feature at least for me.

OSB paints well, you can either use a flat or semi-gloss finish, holds screws for the mounting of certain stuff to the wall. Be sure to hunt a stud for heavier items but the OSB by itself will hold a bunch of weight.

One of these days I'm gonna put a ceiling in my shop. That is gonna be a dandy task.
    Just keep working on it. It'll give up and do right after a while.

Tom I just finished the interior of my new shop. The walls are 1/2" CDX plywood and the ceiling is 5/8" sheetrock. I'm wishing I'd put plywood on the ceiling too!
    Ken

So much to learn, so little time.....

Tom,

I am in the process of building my basement shop and I used 7/16 OSB. I will be adding a couple more lights and plan to paint the entire space bright white on Thursday.

Good luck to you!
    John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."

Hi Tom,

My 2-car garage was gutted out & I used 1/2" ac plywood for the walls. I used a good primer & 2 top coats of Gliddin exterior acrylic enamel, gloss white.It is really worth it when you can nail/screw anything to the wall & not worry about it pulling off.
    Have fun building your shop. Be safe!
    John
    NOTHING beats a failure,but a try.
    -------------------------------------------
    Have a Blessed Day,

JMC

7/16" OSB here, and if I were doing it again, I'd do the same.... cheap, versatile, sturdy as long as it is dry, paintable, etc., etc.

This is my first attempt at posting a pic, so if it works, notice that I'm still in the process of putting up walls. I did 9 foot ceilings and am having to put in a 1 foot piece at the top of the wall.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    This above all - To thine own self be true. Wm Shakespear - Hamlet

I used the cheapest, light colored, 4X8 slick surface "panneling" that I could find at the local HD or Lowes. Put it up with the nails that you use for that, about 1" long. Anytime I decide that I want to change wiring in the walls I just pop off a 4X8 pannel and make the changes and nail the sucker back up.

The pannels around my main electrial pannel in the shop are put on with screws, figuring that I would take those off more often than any other ones.

The slick surface doesn't collect dust. It is light weight and easy to put up and take down if necessary. I forget exactly but at the time it was in the $6-7 per sheet range, got it on sale. I like the light color because it helps improve lighting.

If I want to hang something heavy on the wall I screw a wood batten to two studs. Larger things get screwed directly to the studs. If I ever need to get in the wall to change the wiring or run wires for a new outlet, I just unscrew and pull the pannels off.

another osb

i too have osb on the walls not painted but wished i had, and steel on the ceiling. ceiling cleans easily and reflects the light well. and in michigan you will insulate or freeze. i alos always anchor to studs fo rthe heavy stuff. the french cleat method is a good one, but before my knowlege of it i used just the studs.
    If in Doubt? Build it Stought!

I used OSB and fastened it with screws so that I can easily remove a panel to get behind it to run more wires or whatever.

George

As you can see from the photo, I like to use nautural wood siding that has been surfaced.

lou
    Attached Images Attached Images

Wow !!!!

Lou,

What a fantastic looking shop!

John
    Woodworking:
    "It's not just a hobby, it's an adventure."