Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any Corvette fans out there?

Blog Entries

Any Corvette fans out there?

I have been looking at a few old Corvettes with the hope of buying one. I'd like to get a C3 (1968-1982) . I had been looking at one for a week or two,was pretty excited about it and I brought it to my mechanic on Friday and he found too many things wrong with it so I didn't buy it, I felt like a kid who got coal in his stocking at Christmas. I''ve looked at a couple with luggage racks on the back,one thing i'll never understand is why Chevy would offer ,and why any buyer would purchase , a luggage rack for a Corvette?
    Dennis

I like them. When I bought my car, 10 years ago, I test drove a corvette (about year 2000), and it's performance was phenomenal. I would consider the later corvettes also (maybe around year 1998).

As far as the older cars go, unless it's has a special engine, it may not be economical unless you can do most of the work yourself. Like a lot of things, if you start to look, good deals will pop up. And you need to educate yourself a little to learn to recognize a good deal when you find it.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    I like them. When I bought my car, 10 years ago, I test drove a corvette (about year 2000), and it's performance was phenomenal. I would consider the later corvettes also (maybe around year 1998).

As far as the older cars go, unless it's has a special engine, it may not be economical unless you can do most of the work yourself. Like a lot of things, if you start to look, good deals will pop up. And you need to educate yourself a little to learn to recognize a good deal when you find it.
    Stephan, You're certainly right about educating myself, the one I took to the mechanic needed new stainless steel brake lines throughout ($700), front & rear engine seals, ($500-600), real axel seals ($575), tune up ($350). One of the mechanics I called for an estimate said buying a Corvette of that age, it was a 1981, I should not be surprised to spend $5000 in repairs. He did promise not to mention that to my wife!
    Dennis

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    I have been looking at a few old Corvettes with the hope of buying one. I'd like to get a C3 (1968-1982) . I had been looking at one for a week or two,was pretty excited about it and I brought it to my mechanic on Friday and he found too many things wrong with it so I didn't buy it, I felt like a kid who got coal in his stocking at Christmas. I''ve looked at a couple with luggage racks on the back,one thing i'll never understand is why Chevy would offer ,and why any buyer would purchase , a luggage rack for a Corvette?
    Hey Dennis,

The wife and I bought a 1996 Coupe in 2002, it had 36K on it and we paid $17,500 ....... today it have 76K and we've had very few issues with it thus far. Polo Green with a Tan interior.

It has been a great weekend driver.

Tim

Quote Originally Posted by Tim Boger View Post
    Hey Dennis,

The wife and I bought a 1996 Coupe in 2002, it had 36K on it and we paid $17,500 Tim
    I like these cars very much. By this time, GM had the fuel control worked out, and the handling is fantastic. They are really better than the old cars in every way that I can think of.

Cars from around 1974 and into the 80's had fuel systems that never really worked well, even when new. Very complex array of vacuum hoses. It would be a nightmare to try to troubleshoot this sort of thing 40 years later. In my opinion, polution control and carburators never really went together very well.

6. Zoom_30_web.jpg

The T-tops go behind the seats so the luggage goes on, well, the luggage rack.

The mid-70's C-3's have a smaller 350 engine and go pretty cheap. Some people call them entry level Corvettes. They're still a lot of fun even if they are kind of slow. It's a hobby so expect to drive down the road just tossing out money!

Quote Originally Posted by dennis thompson View Post
    Dennis, If you're looking at a C3, the '82 is a Crossfire Injection system (throttle body). It's somewhat restrictive but mostly reliable. If you're looking to add performance it's not the way to go. The 68-81 are regular old 350 carbureted small block Chevys. Any back yard mechanic can do wonders with them. Not much HP or torque in the stock 75-81years but a good base to work from. Get a good Corvette guy to check it out. Most Chevy guys don't know what to look for on a Corvette. My wife and I spent 20+ years in NCRS and local Corvette clubs etc. I had a '75 and yes it had rust in the rear suspension where most people don't know to look. I know the older years (57-90) better than the newer ones if you have any specific questions.

The best year is 1983,

Do any of the Vette owners watch " Route 66 " ?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    The best year is 1983,
    I take you're not a Corvette fan?
    Dennis

Au contraire Dennis, I'm actually quite fond of them, and I think the C3 has the most distinctive styling of all the more recent models. I've had a couple and my little bro has three right now, including an '82, 02, and 05. I do have to say though, My '78 drove like a truck compared to my 85 C4.

Seriously though, most things on a C3 can be easily fixed using parts from your corner auto parts store...........except for that pesky rear end area. Sliding splines, the posi, and the brakes can all be very expensive to repair, and are pretty common. I put over $1000, not counting brakes in a perfect '78 that just had a slight clunk in the rear end. That was last century pricing.

Taking it to your mechanic is your best insurance before buying.

Rick P
    PS: Make sure the headlight doors work properly.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Potter View Post
    Au contraire Dennis, I'm actually quite fond of them, and I think the C3 has the most distinctive styling of all the more recent models. I've had a couple and my little bro has three right now, including an '82, 02, and 05. I do have to say though, My '78 drove like a truck compared to my 85 C4.

Seriously though, most things on a C3 can be easily fixed using parts from your corner auto parts store...........except for that pesky rear end area. Sliding splines, the posi, and the brakes can all be very expensive to repair, and are pretty common. I put over $1000, not counting brakes in a perfect '78 that just had a slight clunk in the rear end. That was last century pricing.

Taking it to your mechanic is your best insurance before buying.

Rick P
    PS: Make sure the headlight doors work properly.
    excuse me but what truck are you thinking about when you say that it drove like a truck

96 coupe with Targa top. Had 38k when we bought it in 2004 for 16.5k. Had a 3k repair bill in 2007 (paid by extended warrantee) and works like a champ now with 80k on it. We are planning to do route 66 in September. Love the 'vette!!

The only car I ever owned that I sold for more then I paid for it.

Looked a lot like this:

vette.jpg

In my late teens I fell in love with 1953 Corvette 6 cylinder. I couldn't come up with the money to buy it and am probably lucky that I couldn't. The '53 wasn't a high end vehicle and at that time in my life I took chances that the '53 couldn't have lived up to.
    David B