Thread: Removing paint from hand planes

Removing paint from hand planes

Hi, i have recently acquired two hand planes that have been spray painted gray on top of the original japanning. How can i safely remove the paint without hurting the japanning underneath? Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Until you get more specific help try this stuff on a small incospicuous area.
    http://www.amazon.com/ZUCIT128-128-O...citrus+cleaner

I have had it remove paint that was applied by home rattle can people and leave the factory applied and cured paint un touched.
    If you can test it on some old "japaning" on a tool you don't care about to be sure it doesn't take that finish off before you use it on your project so much the better.
    I use this stuff daily on cured factory paint to remove dirt and machine grease and it does no harm.
    PS: You can get it locally at Home Depo in smaller quantities.
    In this photo it looks red but the product in the bottle should be orange like orange juice. Some times it has a milky look and sometimes transparent like thick orange soda. Use it full strength.
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 07-15-2013 at 2:38 AM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.

removing paint

I hope you get a good answer, but doubt you will, especially being you don't know the state of the japanning underneath anyhow. You'll probably need to strip and repaint or rejapan.

I have only used Zep in a spray can,but it is great stuff!! It took a greasy smear off of a mechanic's baseball cap off my car's head liner like magic.

Aircraft stripper sold at autozone will take it all off easily

Baseball cap smear
    George,

You are a very nice and patient fellow.
    Most people, especially your's truly, would have been back down to the mechanics shop to allow them the privilege of removing the spot. I worked in a shop where we specialized in Audi, Mercedes, and Porsche. We did factory perfect work including unibody panel replacement on a Celette bench. Every screw, every washer, every dammed plastic snappy clip . . . just like it came out of the factory. Breath taking repair bills.

N o __S m u d g e s
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 07-15-2013 at 9:34 PM.
    But
    Better is Better.

Hi, I'm replying back just to say that degreaser did a good job, thanks for the replies everyone.

COOL !
    At least I got one answer right.
    I think it works because amateurs don't clean the surface they are painting over, let alone sand it to get some tooth, so the paint comes off with the dirt, wax and oils, what have you under it.
    But
    Better is Better.