Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Boat Woods"

Good luck in your search. Your boat is out there , you just have to find it.
    Paul M If God had wanted us to have fiberglass boats, he would have given us fiberglass trees.

Blog Entries
    The Tartan is an awesome sailing boat. I had full access to one and sailed her many times including a few Rolex Regattas and a number of local St. John races like the commodore's cup and the Around St. John race. Sweet sailing boats. This one had a fin keel. I think they had an optional swing keel of some sort which I can't comment on. Down below is roomy enough but not luxurious like some other designs of similar size like the Beneteaus, but by your choices it sounds like you are looking for strong built cruisers. I have heard a lot of good about the Cabo Rico but never sailed one.

Certainly not knocking the Beneteaus... I have fond memories on one.

Attachment 268069

We looked at a couple of Tartans on our trip, one a T37, the other a 372. Both really nice boats.

When we were looking at the Moody 376, we found the interior not so accommodating for people over 5'6". I'm 5'7" and found headroom restrictive. I had to duck going through every doorway. My SO is 5'11" and said there's no way we could consider this boat.

But while in the aft cabin (before the boat got nixed) I was wondering if I could make some cabin modifications to make the bunk larger.

I was thinking of removing the cabinetry on the starboard side (on the left in the picture) to open up the bunk area. As it is, anyone over 5'6" would have to scrunch up to sleep back here. But by eliminating the cabinetry, even my SO might be able to stretch out. I know the picture looks really spacious and inviting, but once inside the cabin, it's really cramped so that fancy seating space would have to go, at least for us.

Hi Julie,

Sounds like this is a theoretical question as this boat isn't likely the one so I'll give you my take with a generic response.
    You will have to excuse my wood boatbuilder's bias.
    The problem you will often have in renovating a 'glass boat is that often it will involve fibreglass work in addition to woodwork as many of the interior components are either 'glassed to the hull or fit into moulded-in recesses in a liner mold. It can turn out to be a much bigger and more involved job than the simple woodworking task of re-jigging the cabinetry. No, I'm not trying to talk you into a wooden boat, but they are much easier to deal with in this regard.
    Paul M If God had wanted us to have fiberglass boats, he would have given us fiberglass trees.

Hi Julie, Another thing to consider is the strength of the companion way doors. In my opinion the main reason for the boards/doors is to keep the sea out of the cabin. Waves coming over the side and into the cockpit can be very powerful and the last thing you want to happen in a storm is to have the companion way open to the sea. I have over 35 years of sailing on both the great lakes and Atlantic ocean and even if you watch the weather, storms can pop-up and waves can build very quickly. I know the boards can be a pain but are also (if properly constructed) very strong. Enjoy your boat shopping, it looks like you are considering some good boats.