Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567

Thread: Plain Stropping - Looking for Advice

Oh,I'm sure it's a good product, David. My skin has issues ,I actually got a 4-F draft classification because of it. Can't say the olive oil rinses well.

Yeah, I definitely don't doubt your experience, Mel. I have different skin issues of my own. That's why I was surprised on the razor board that a lot of soaps that I thought were mild would generally get at least half a dozen responses from people who had adverse issues.

I don't have trouble with soaps, but if I so much as get razorburn, it turns into dark red spots the next day and last three days total. If I get a small nick, it looks like nothing when it happens and then it turns into a big red long dark line with a bunch of inflammation around it.

I envy the folks who can just willy nilly rip a razor right back up into the grain of their hair. I could never do it.

Mel. Give the Kiss My Face moisture shave a try. My wife uses it and she has very very sensitive skin. I tried it once and it lathers great so now its all I use. I can't really compare it to fancy shave soaps cause I've never had any, but the KMF stuff is better than any other pharmacy/department store shave cream/soap/lotion I've ever used.

Dave for some reason I was thinking you disliked the Real Shave Co. stuff...what is the one sold at pharmacies and such, marketed as a trendy mens shave soap, that you don't like?

EDIT: haha I just looked back at this thread and see that I already made this soap recommendation in it.
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 09-17-2013 at 9:34 PM.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Thanks, Chris. Will definately try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Griggs View Post
    Mel. Give the Kiss My Face moisture shave a try. My wife uses it and she has very very sensitive skin. I tried it once and it lathers great so now its all I use. I can't really compare it to fancy shave soaps cause I've never had any, but the KMF stuff is better than any other pharmacy/department store shave cream/soap/lotion I've ever used.

Dave for some reason I was thinking you disliked the Real Shave Co. stuff...what is the one sold at pharmacies and such, marketed as a trendy mens shave soap, that you don't like?

EDIT: haha I just looked back at this thread and see that I already made this soap recommendation in it.
    Every man jack. That one is made in the united states and I don't see anything redeeming about it. The tube looks very similar to the real shave company stuff (which plainly says on the back that it's made by creightons in the UK, and creighton makes stuff that's a lot more money).

Another one I like a lot is La Toja, which is an inexpensive cream in the EU. Unfortunately, it's not so inexpensive here. It has a bizarre smell, though, sort of a slightly more manly baby powder smell.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    Every man jack. That one is made in the united states and I don't see anything redeeming about it. The tube looks very similar to the real shave company stuff (which plainly says on the back that it's made by creightons in the UK, and creighton makes stuff that's a lot more money).

Another one I like a lot is La Toja, which is an inexpensive cream in the EU. Unfortunately, it's not so inexpensive here. It has a bizarre smell, though, sort of a slightly more manly baby powder smell.

Yep. That's the one i was thinking off. I was bummed when you told me that because I've used some of their other products and liked them...never bothered to try their shave cream shave. As much as I like the KMF stuff I should check out some others just for giggles.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Interesting to see the variety of answers, which tells you that lots of things work. I use a piece of scrap leather glued rough side up to a piece of scrap wood with chromium oxide rubbed on it. When I was a kid I used my belt -- if I actually had one on at the time -- or my jeans, which I don't think really did very much. My standard of reference has always been the barber shops back in the day when you could still get a shave from them. The barbers all had leather strops hanging from their chairs, and they'd strop their razors before starting every shave, sometimes in the middle of the shave. The strops had slick surfaces. They weren't mounted on anything but they were fairly thick and stiff so they didn't flex a lot, with nothing on them that I'm aware of. They had a hook on one end that attached to the chair, and the barber would pick up the loose end, pull it tight, and then strop away.
    Michael Ray Smith

Quote Originally Posted by Mel Fulks View Post
    Shaving with a layer of olive oil topped with a layer of canned Barbasol.
    That wouldn't work for me. After the olive oil, I'd just go downstairs to rub garlic, salt, and pepper all over my face and then I'd lick my upper lip all day.

You are right Federico , licking ones lips is pretty reflexive so I have to fight that impulse while shaving around my mouth.

Blog Entries
    I know I'm right at home in the Neander den when I re-read a thread like this one.
    Bumbling forward into the unknown.