Thread: Turning Bowl Bottom

Turning Bowl Bottom

Some of you asked how I turn the bottom of my bowls. These pictures will explain it probably better than I can write it. I did not invent this, and I don't remember where I learned it. Those of you that are using this method just bare with me, I am only trying to help those that asked me to post these pictures.
    Picture #1 shows the Stronghold Chuck holding a device I found in the plumbers section of the local hardward store. I tried a 4 inch pipe, but could never could get it sawed square so this worked better for me.
    Picture #2 shows the thick mouse pads I use to protect the inside of the bowl.
    Picture #3 shows the bowl set up and ready for me to work on the bottom. If you remember to find the center while you are turning the bowl it will help. If you do not, use a center finder because the tail stock revolving center must be in the exact center of the bottom. I decided to use this 14 inch wild black cherry natural edge to show this method because it is difficult to use other methods of working on the bottom of bowls with natural edge pieces.
    Hope this helps.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

Pretty ingenious if you ask me Glen! Meets my basic requirement, Cheap!

Hey Glen,

Thanks for the post. I never would have thought of that. Ingenious is an understatement.

Nice jam chucking device, Glenn.
    The less you know, the less likely you are to be subpoenaed.

Fred

Really excellent and frugal way to do the job! Thanks for sharing.
    Big Mike

I have done so much with so little for so long I am now qualified to do anything with nothing......

P.S. If you are interested in plans for any project that I post, just put some money in an envelope and mail it to me and I will keep it.

Glenn, thank you for the post. I've been turning for about four months now and can use all the information I can get. With as helpful as everyone is on this forum, I'm sure the ones who may already be using this method wont mind the post, so pleeeeeease don't stop with the good ideas.

Ernie

So THAT'S how you do it!! Sheesh..I was having the toughest time picturing this in my head. Thanks so much Glenn. Now I know what to buy...And like Mike said...Cheap! By the way...Nice Bowl!!!!
    ~john
    "There's nothing wrong with Quiet" ` Jeremiah Johnson

Glen, that looks like a great method to me! I will have to try it out, that is if I ever get to turn a bowl
    Jeff Sudmeier

"It's not the quality of the tool being used, it's the skills of the craftsman using the tool that really matter. Unfortunately, I don't have high quality in either"

Glenn that is how I turn the bottoms of my bowls also, I happen to attend a turning club and one member is Dave Hout, he does the Woodturning show on DIY network, and I saw him doing bottom turning with plastic pipe, couldn't think of a better or cheaper way, I use different sizes of couplers and I just cut pieces of foam pad....should of shared the idea myself...Dennis

I'm assuming I could just use a rounded chunk of wood fastened to a faceplate since I can't afford one of them fancy "chucky" type things??? I have plans on dropping about 46,832 hints between now and Christmas. It probably won't help, but until then....

Pat, you can use a small faceplate attached to a piece of wood. Before I started using this device I used a piece of wood in the chuck.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

"Would you believe the only time I ever make mistakes is when someone is watching?"

More free advice that's worth what you pay for it!

If you don't want to tie up your (only) faceplate you can even go so far as tapping a piece of hardwood and putting it directly on the spindle at your headstock. I bought a 1" 8 TPI wood tap from Grizzly (off amazon.com) for cheap. I've made jamb chucks with it. Just make sure the wood is dry, stable, and you drill a hole through it across the grain so you can put a pry bar through to release the block from the lathe.

I wouldn't do this to actually turn a piece using the wood similar to how you would use a faceplate. I get the feeling that the stresses and torque on the outside edge of the turning, especially while hollowing without the tailstock could cause a catastrophic failure at the spindle. Where a metal faceplate can handle those stresses, a wood one might have problems. With a jamb chuck though, the pressures aren't exerted there.

I'm not associated with the companies mentioned. Always practice safe turning and stay out of the way of potential flying objects.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill

Hey Ray, about turning safely, I duck when I can, I just can't duck fast enough anymore it seems. I don't care how hard I try to be a safe turner I screw up sometimes.
    Glenn Hodges
    Nashville, Georgia

Gl,

I perfectly understand. I'm 33 and I have the scar to prove that the flying log is quicker than I am. However, I don't put myself in the path as often as I used to and since I retrofitted my old 1950's model Delta with a variable speed drive I can turn at a lot safer speed when doing those less stable pieces.

You have to take a responsible, educated, and calculated risk assesment approach when working with the lathe or any other power tool and don't forget the most important piece of safety equipment, these, your safety glasses.

I work with computers for a living and it reminds me of a rule that's good to follow with them. Never give a liquid more potential energy than a computer. In other words, don't set your cup of coffee on top of the computer unless you want to end up with it inside your computer at some time.

Same goes for a lathe. Limit the risk as much as possible.
    Last edited by Raymond Overman; 05-27-2005 at 10:07 AM.
    Raymond Overman
    Happiness is a warm chainsaw

"Do not wait, the time will never be just right. Start where you stand, and work with whatever tools you may have at your command. Better tools will be found as you go along." Napolean Hill