Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Design for Splitting/Cleaving Break

Hey Jim,
    Your chairs look great!

Thanks. I find these chairs grow on you. I bought my first Windsor chair at a garage sale back in the 70's, but I didn't realize what it was. It was a side chair made later (1800s) and sports the four rungs instead of the H pattern with stretchers. I'll have to post that sometime on my blog: http://jimthechairmaker.wordpress.com

I'll let you know how the brake turns out. I'll definitely make one and use it the next time I start splitting chair parts. Saw Curtis Buchanan use one on YouTube very effectively.

Take care,
    Jim

I watched a few of Curtis's videos after his being mentioned in this thread. Even to someone like myself who doesn't have an immediate interest in chair-making or green-wood-working, they were very interesting.

This is the video (or at least the only video of the handful I watched) where he uses the brake. I would assume he also uses it in this video where he's riving the stock for the comb, but I haven't watched it yet.
    Last edited by Jessica Pierce-LaRose; 07-22-2013 at 12:06 PM.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    I watched a few of Curtis's videos after his being mentioned in this thread. Even to someone like myself who doesn't have an immediate interest in chair-making or green-wood-working, they were very interesting.
    Hi Joshua,

Yep. I have to agree that Curtis does a fine job in those videos and that is the video clip I was thinking of when I commented earlier. I have been fortunate enough to have riven red oak and it is enjoyable. Using a brake is in my future now.

Best wishes on your woodworking too

Jim