Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oneida cyclone fails to start using the remote key fob.

Oneida cyclone fails to start using the remote key fob.

I'm unable to start the Oneida cyclone using the supplied remote, however the unit does start with the buttons. I tried replacing the batteries but no luck. Any help appreciated.

Many thanks.

are the remote a line of sight remote, [ I hope this is the correct term to use ]

I'm not sure but it has been working for years. Even right up close to the receiver doesn't help.

Wayne,
    When I first bought my Oneida cyclone, the remote worked out to about 15'. By the end of the 1st year, it was down to 5' and I had to aim it at the dust collector. I called tech at Oneida and they sent me out a new remote (no charge) and this one works great. I've had it about 1 year now and I can start the dust collector from outside my shop.
    Pat

Dumb question, but have you replaced the battery in the remote lately? Have you tried it since it stopped working?
    One can never have too many planes and chisels... or so I'm learning!!

Quote Originally Posted by "Patrick G Rainsberger" View Post
    When I first bought my Oneida cyclone, the remote worked out to about 15'. By the end of the 1st year, it was down to 5' and I had to aim it at the dust collector.
    I've tried putting the remote right up close to the box but no luck. I'll give Oneida a call today.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Neeley View Post
    Dumb question, but have you replaced the battery in the remote lately? Have you tried it since it stopped working?
    I agree, yes I have replaced the battery.

What did Oneida say when you talked to them?

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    What did Oneida say when you talked to them?
    It appears that the remote control receiver is dead, I might have to buy another one, or replace it with something else.

I have an Insteon home automation system with a central controller and I've always wanted to hook up the dust collector to the saw and bandsaw and create the logic in the central controller to turn on the collector at the right time for a certain amount of time etc, this could be a good opportunity. I wonder whether this little Insteon micro switch would work. I'm not an expert in these things by any means but this little remote control switch allows for four modes: latching, single momentary, dual momentary and without switch. It works with 240V. The only thing I'm not certain about is what happens when the power goes out, it says in the user guide quote "All settings preserved in non-volatile memory, even through power failures" I wonder whether that includes the current on/off state.

So to be clear the only part I was looking to replace is the Oneida wireless receiver. Would appreciate some feedback from those with some knowledge of this.

Many thanks, Wayne

ps. here is a link to the user manual

Had this happen earlier this year. The longevity of the remote receivers is not impressive.
    - After I ask a stranger if I can pet their dog and they say yes, I like to respond, "I'll keep that in mind" and walk off
    - It's above my pay grade. Mongo only pawn in game of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Watling View Post
    It appears that the remote control receiver is dead, I might have to buy another one, or replace it with something else.

I have an Insteon home automation system with a central controller and I've always wanted to hook up the dust collector to the saw and bandsaw and create the logic in the central controller to turn on the collector at the right time for a certain amount of time etc, this could be a good opportunity. I wonder whether this little Insteon micro switch would work. I'm not an expert in these things by any means but this little remote control switch allows for four modes: latching, single momentary, dual momentary and without switch. It works with 240V. The only thing I'm not certain about is what happens when the power goes out, it says in the user guide quote "All settings preserved in non-volatile memory, even through power failures" I wonder whether that includes the current on/off state.

So to be clear the only part I was looking to replace is the Oneida wireless receiver. Would appreciate some feedback from those with some knowledge of this.

Many thanks, Wayne

ps. here is a link to the user manual
    Says max load for induction is 700w, so unless you have very small tools... Or did you want to use it to control a relay?

Wayne,
    The person I talked to at Oneida was Andy. He was their tech guy. He was very knowledgeable and was always more than willing to help. If he still works there, I'll bet you could ask him this question and get an honest answer.
    Pat

Quote Originally Posted by Wade Lippman View Post
    Says max load for induction is 700w, so unless you have very small tools... Or did you want to use it to control a relay?
    I'm no expert with regard to these types of electronics and would need a little guidance. I have wired up an entire shop and panel with both 240 and 115 and had it certified though, so I can follow instructions.
    If I was to use a relay would that mean I would have to introduce a 110v power source? Can you provide a little more in fo on your thinking..
    Do you know whether the wires to the remote receiver carry the full 20-30Amps required by the dust collector, the wiring is considerably thinner that the others so I have a hard time believing that they are required to carry the full amperage.

Quote Originally Posted by "Patrick G Rainsberger" View Post
    Wayne,
    The person I talked to at Oneida was Andy. He was their tech guy. He was very knowledgeable and was always more than willing to help. If he still works there, I'll bet you could ask him this question and get an honest answer.
    Pat
    Thank you for the suggestion Pat, Oneida have been somewhat helpful but it's going to cost me and I'd like to investigate another solution before accepting a second rate solution for a second time.
    Last edited by Wayne Watling; 07-23-2013 at 11:07 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Lightstone View Post
    Had this happen earlier this year. The longevity of the remote receivers is not impressive.
    Exactly, so why anyone would invest in this second rate unit for a second time is beyond me.

Just curious, but have you tried calling Oneida? What did they have to say?
    What does it mean when you've accumulated enough tools that human life expectancy precludes you from ever getting truly good with all of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks Hunter View Post
    Just curious, but have you tried calling Oneida? What did they have to say?
    Yes, I spoke to them and I'd have to purchase another remote kit because the current remote receiver has failed.