Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: beech plane blanks

beech plane blanks

Does anybody know of a good, reliable source for quality quarter-sawn beech bench and moulding plane (H&R's) blanks?

Thanks in advance.
    Jeff

Mike Digity was the only one I knew of, but he is mostly retired (and his beech was inexpensive). If there are others, matt bickford or larry might divulge them. There are sawyers around here who will custom cut beech, but I have no idea what they'd charge and how much they'd want to have as an order. Mike always had 5/4-8/4 beech any time I called and never charged more than a lot of places will charge for quality flat sawn cherry.

At least one of the other planemakers' blogs have suggested they've gone to trying to create their own supplies.

Give the guys at Horizon Wood Products a call. They provide the beech that Larry and Don use. It won't be blanks, but boards. Here is the link to their site: http://horizonwood.com/english/index.html

North American beech is notoriously curly, and that makes lousy blanks.

I rendered some 260 year old Beech from nearby Rhode Island, three years ago.
    There wasn't a straight grained section longer than 4 inches in the whole thing.

It was like the whole tree was a giant corkscrew.

Jeff:

I have purchased quarter sawn beech lumber 8/4 thick from Hickory & Oak Sawmilling and Lumber, Decatur (South West side of Michigan) 49045. Seems as though it was $4.00 per BF.

Phone 269-436-0039

David Turner
    Plymouth, MI.

Maybe it was where you got the Beech,Jim. Our beech was cut in nearby woods,and was fine. Not curly.

Do you have a current supplier?

My last discussion with Matt Bickford revolved around the scarcity of straight grain stock.
    Caleb James has some pictures on his page showing a similar problem to what I can find.

IMG_2354 (1).jpg http://kapeldesigns.blogspot.com/

Beech is notoriously curly? I never heard that before and it is not in my experience. Occasionally it is a little wavy.

Frankly I am a little skeptical that the picture you show is American beech. I can't see the features of your sample very well, but a 30 inch beech tree will have a bark that is about 3/16 thick. Yours appears almost as thick as your little finger.

Blog Entries
    I needed a bench for some work five years or so ago. Highland Woodworking was running a special on a compact Hammer bench so I bought one. I believe the wood is "European Beech". I have found the bench top to be very sturdy. I have even used some of the packing wood to make handles etc. The grain is relatively straight and subtle. At the suggestion of another Creeker in my area I bought "German Kiln Dried Beech" on sale from Peach State Lumber in Kennesaw, Ga to build a bench top with. The wood is light colored with a subtle grain pattern that I believe will be easy to work. Looking at Peach State's web site they still list "European Beech" at the top of their list of Exotic Woods. I bought 8/4"x8+'x8-10" wide boards, with two finished sides and two square rough edges. The boards were more expensive than Ash but still reasonable. Maybe similar wood is available at other wood suppliers?

Quote Originally Posted by Warren Mickley View Post
    Frankly I am a little skeptical that the picture you show is American beech. I can't see the features of your sample very well, but a 30 inch beech tree will have a bark that is about 3/16 thick. Yours appears almost as thick as your little finger.
    The picture is from Caleb James' blog, and he's an active plane maker lamenting the scarcity of straight Beech stock.
    Matt Bickford has said the same. The Beech that I have rendered locally (South Coastal Massachusetts) has all been like this - reaction wood and pronounced curl.
    It's nearly impossible to split straight. I suspect that's because any Beech near me is secondary growth that did not germinate under a canopy.

The Beech I have taken has a smooth, grey bark about 1/4 inch thick. It's more prone to fracture, flake and shake than riving straight.

http://www.ehow.com/facts_7902796_we...ood-split.html

Try these folks: http://www.rarewoodsusa.com/

While I have dealt directly with them in Maine, I have not done any mail order, they may have minimums for that, but I am sure they have or can find what you want.
    "The real voyage of discovery consists not in seeking new landscapes, but in having new eyes." - Proust

He's just in the wrong place, I guess. There's a ton of beech in southern ohio, and mike digity never had any trouble coming up with lots of it, but nobody else really wants beech. I think the problem with supply is first the few users of beech and second how many people truly quartersawn wood dead quartersawn. Most of the quartersawn wood I've seen is rift cut because of the methods the sawyers use and rift with beech just doesn't do it.

If caleb is taking logs that were cut from residential areas, that might be part of the problem.

Beech does make good firewood, and probably most of what's felled in ohio (residential) is burned.

There's some difference between European beech and the US species I think (?), but from my limited experience the characteristics of the wood depend heavily on how the beech grows. It appears naturally here (ireland/Europe), but the 'wild' version if often full of funnies as described. Basically because when it grows naturally it often branches very frequently, and is in a wood where it leans and branches to get away from other trees. Against that if you get a trunk of a free standing tree that for whatever reason didn't branch it can be very clean.

I have a stack of German beech in my shop about to be converted into a bench - it's cultured/grown as a crop there and at times in the UK. It seems that in this situation sprouting branches are trimmed off and the trees well separated. Whatever the deal it's almost perfectly clean and apart from one or two boards that seem to mix heart and sapwood pretty straight.

One way or the other beech does seem to shrink a fair amount as it dries - the tables suggest about 1/3 more than most hardwoods. Chances are that the ready availability of the wood in Europe (as well as its properties - it has good ding resistance, works nicely if clean and finishes well) played a large part in its becoming a traditional choice for plane making ...
    Last edited by ian maybury; 09-09-2014 at 9:30 AM.

Yes, euro and american is different. Euro is a little bit easier to work and a little "drier", and american beech is a bit smoother and more waxy (comparing kiln dried versions of both). Of what I've had, american beech has been a little more dense.

What little European beech I have seen is billed as "steamed" to even out the colors. I don't know that it affects the working properties of the wood, but the color seems less lively than in American beech.

Beech logs are easy to come by here. The problem is that they have little commercial value, so most sawmills don't cut or sell it as furniture wood. What little is cut for that purpose is rarely dead quartersawn, which is what most toolmakers are lusting after.

I've often thought of buying a few logs to cut into plane billets with some kind of radial sawing setup (cutting pie like wedges so that every piece is quartersawn). The problem is that I don't even know if there is a viable market to make it worthwhile.