Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Planes by Kobalt??

Lets see, I have a M-F #9, a Stanley Defiance #4, and a Wood River#4 V3 as my #4 sized smoothers. Do have some in the #3 size as well. These are my "keepers", and what I compare others that pass through the shop with.

The Kobalt seems to be a copy of a Bailey style plane, from what I have actually seen of it, in the store. It does have a flat sole(straight edge was just down the aisle) and there is a frog adjust screw. Chip breaker looked a little thin, about like most vintage Stanley ones. Made the iron look thick, too. It also has a lever cap, instead of the Buck Brothers screwcap. Yes, I've had a BB#4 come through the shop, and sold it at a profit, thank you. So, if it came down to a sharpening of the iron to get a trail run, not a big deal to me. From what I could see, fit and finish look quite good.

Might be a diamond in the rough, might not. One way to tell, isn't there? While I doubt that LN or Veritas have anything to worry about from this plane, it does have a no questions asked guarantee......

Blog Entries
    OK, now, have any of you even seen this thing, yet?
    Which is the reason I would never tell someone just getting started to give it a try. I do not even like most Stanley/Bailey planes made after the mid 1930s.

Tempted to just go out and get one, try it out, review it. IF it is a "Dog", I can always take it back to Lowes for a refund.
    Please include a lot of pictures when you do this.

jtk
    Last edited by Jim Koepke; 07-22-2013 at 10:54 AM.
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

I wouldn't buy one for the simple reason I already have enough planes!! Count me in as a Rob Lee cheerleader. His company makes every effort to produce the finest tools. His company instantly refunds or exchanges the item if anything is wrong(I have personal experience of that). He posts here to discuss products and future products,and to answer questions. Why should I not be a cheerleader for him?

Lowes,too, has a liberal return policy,but I am not much of a fan of Chinese tools.
    Last edited by george wilson; 07-22-2013 at 11:35 AM.

I have bought two #4's, a #5 and a block plane (all Stanley/Bailey) and have not paid over $31 for any of them including shipping. And I am very much a beginner in the hand tool world. This sub-forum is a dangerous place but also a source of very valuable information to people like me.

It is. And if you really want to go bonkers, troll the MJD auctions where they aggregate a dozen or so planes at a time. If we didn't have the internet, we'd all buy fewer tools... it'd sure be harder to unload them and get most or all of your money back if the internet didn't exist. Of course, there would be decent ones at flea markets and antique shops, though.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    It is. And if you really want to go bonkers, troll the MJD auctions where they aggregate a dozen or so planes at a time. If we didn't have the internet, we'd all buy fewer tools... it'd sure be harder to unload them and get most or all of your money back if the internet didn't exist. Of course, there would be decent ones at flea markets and antique shops, though.

If I didn't have the internet I would probably have a lot more time to go to flea markets and antique shops. So all in all I would still be broke.

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Ruden View Post
    If I didn't have the internet I would probably have a lot more time to go to flea markets and antique shops. So all in all I would still be broke.
    Sounds like you and I have a common problem...given my utter tool lust...my 12 year old daughter is better at saving money than I am...of course, she is discovering woodworking and tools also, so that could change!

Yep, slippery slope! I have a vintage plane on the way, bidding on another, plus a parts plane. Sold three old planes to get some more planes to play with.....

To each thier own poisons. IF one has the cash to burn, go for it.....SDC15551.jpg I think these two cost about $30, for the pair....

I hardly think that buying quality tools is poison!!

Quote Originally Posted by george wilson View Post
    I hardly think that buying quality tools is poison!!
    Many a spouse would beg to differ
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I saw them putting these out the other day and putting the Stanley stuff (and the Nicholson files) on clearance. I picked up several of the latter for about $1.50 each. The Kobalt planes very much reminded me of the Sears Footprint planes. The only thing that looked remotely nice was the knob and tote. The rest of the plane looked cheap and the iron was VERY thin. I think it is overpriced in the $30's range and anyone that gets it may be frusterated with it. I know I would be. Good luck if you do buy it. (I love Veritas planes! Sorry, had to get that in there).

If you want a cheap beginner's plane, the Horrible Fright plane (http://www.harborfreight.com/no-33-b...ane-97544.html) has had some surprisingly good reviews. No experience myself; I keep meaning to hold my breath*, walk in there, and buy one, just for the heck of it.

*can't stand the smell of all the plasticizers in their store.

Do you mean this one?SDC14820.jpg001.jpg006.jpg007.jpgGrind the thick single iron into a 3" radius, and you will have a nice #3 sized scrub plane. Only $9.99+tax
    '

I am brand new to the forum and a beginner. Unfortunately I bought two of the planes mentioned here a No. 4 Kobalt and a buck bros jack plane. I can tell you the Kobalt is the worst experience it is a horrible plane cannot get it to lock th blade down snug and still be able to adjust the depth when I try to adjust the depth the chip breaker pops off. The buck brothers while still not a good plane is better than the Kobalt. I recently scored a Stanley Bailey 6c for a steal it is vintage. I know the 6c is not a favorite among wood workers but it is the first vintage plane I will restore to user condition.