Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Planes by Kobalt??

A bailey 6c is a really nice plane. I think patrick leach put up his page talking about how 6s were useless and people believed it, but they're the same size as the well regarded large spiers panel plane.

I like 6s a lot, and will always have one.

I'm looking forward to getting it. I am also looking for a Miller falls no. 9 or Stanley no. 4 I will probably get one next week on ebay. I want to have four good vintage planes. I want a block,jack,smoothing,and joiner. That should serve me well while I am doing my beginner projects. I learned my lesson buy quality and buy once. I will be doing the same with hand saws.

Blog Entries
    Vinnie,

Welcome to the Creek. Your profile doesn't indicate your location. If you are in my part of the world let me know. Maybe we can get together and you can test drive a few planes.

I like the #6. There are two of them in my shop.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Jim thank you I wish I was in your neck of the woods as good lumber would be more readily available. There is not much down here in terms of wood. Its hard to find stuff other than typical home depot or lowes stuff. I updated my profile

Between Yard Sales, and the FeeBay, I have managed somehow to pick up a few good ones. A wood bodied, 22" long Try Plane by Ohio Tool Co. A 24"ong Stanley #31 Jointer plane. Two Millers Falls #14 Jack planes, a Stanley #5, and a Stanley #5-1/2. A Stanley FourSquare 5-1/4 snuck in here too.

There is a few Millers Falls #9 ( 3 of them!) and a #8. A Millers Falls #1455 low angle block plane came in it's own box. Couple of Stanley 9-1/2s, one of which has a knuckle style cap.

Sure, a few less than perfect items come through the shop. I fix those up, and sell them to buy the "better" stuff. Around this neck of the woods ( West Central Ohio) we have a bunch of Amish mills. They seem to be a bit better on pricing, too.

I have been known to "rescue" lumber from the curb. Currently finishing up a second tool chest, that at one time was an Oak bed frame, and a pine bed frame from a waterbed. Down your way, drive by any remodelling going on, ASK to dive through their scrap dumpsters. Trash day? Do a morning drive by. Might be surprised at what gets tossed out......

I still have the first plane I bought back in the 70's, it was from Home Depot and who knows the brand name. And while I know Lee Trevino could hustle the rubes playing with a Coke bottle I doubt even a woodworking Lee Trevino could make that worthless hunk of metal function as a plane. Among its many sins was a paint to paint frog mating surface.

I've been down most woodworking roads, many of then dead ends, and while I know many will disagree, the best way for a new woodworker that doesn't have a mentor is to start with a new plane, saw, or chisel from a good maker. The Woodriver planes are very good and by the time you pay shipping on a vintage plane from eBay, replace the iron because the one in it is pitted or so miss sharpened as to be worthless, and the normal eBay burn rate for even someone that knows what to look for, it is cheaper to buy the new Woodriver. Pretty much the same applies to what ever tools you are looking for. Once you know how to use and maintain your tools then vintage can be great, not only for the value but for the quality of the tools. I have many more vintage tools than is wise or needed but: What the hey, they are good for bar talk i.e. hey little lady would you like to come up and see my set of Stanley type 9 planes from a #3 to a #8 or if that fails how about my set of Union Hardware thin blade chisels? I still can't figure out why I go home alone :-).

A long way around to: I don't have to go look, price and source are all that is needed to know its value.

It's a good idea on ebay to pay an extra ten bucks (which I figure is what an auction will fetch additional if a seller takes pictures of everything, including the cap iron and iron apart, and both sides of the iron).

Probably 1 in 100 listings is actually worth buying to get market price and assurance, but it's worth doing. As you're describing, making sure the iron and cap iron are good is pretty important, wood, too.