Thread: Disston No7 panel saw handle out of white oak

Disston No7 panel saw handle out of white oak

Just finishing up a panel saw handle out of quartersawn white oak. I used the Disston No7 panel saw template from tgiag. I fumed the handle with ammonia and just finished putting the first coat of BLO on. A few more coats of that, some shellac, and a topcoat of wax should finish it off nicely. I am cutting down the blade on a kinked D-23 to use with this handle. The blade is kinked at the toe. Gonna cut it down to 20" or so and file it rip. It's 9ppi and should make a nice small rip saw for use on my bench. The original saw nuts where nickel plated. I stripped that and used gun bluing on them. Looks really cool paired up with this handle. I'll post more pics soon. Any critiques and comments are welcome.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Really nice work on that handle Jason. Those lambs-tongues can be tough to get looking good but are totally worth the effort. Really a lovely handle.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Nice job!! I'm glad to see those templates are being put to good use.
    Dominic Greco

Blog Entries
    What are the diameters of the sockets for the saw nuts? I've had issues with matching the sockets to the saw nuts in the past.

Lowell, the medallion I used was 13/16". The other saw nuts were a hair under 1/2".

Thanks for the kind words everyone. I know oak isn't a traditional handle material, but I had plenty on hand and thought it might look nice. It was definitely more challenging to shape, but it was a good learning experience. And the handle feels really really nice in my hand. I'll put some shellac on it and install the saw plate tonight. Pictures will follow.

Looks good, good tidy work. Shaping splintery wood is a pain, every bit of coarse work has to be down grain.

A #7 handle with the medallion on the bottom will keep people guessing in the future, especially made out of white oak.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    A #7 handle with the medallion on the bottom will keep people guessing in the future, especially made out of white oak.

I thought so too David. I contemplated placing the medallion in its normal spot, but thought it fit really well in the bottom hole. Overall, I'm pretty happy with the result.

Finally got around to finishing it up. Filed it 9ppi rip. 8 degrees of rake. Cuts like a dream in 2" thick pine. The blade was a 26" D23 with a good kink near the end. I cut it down to 18.75" with a cut off wheel. Used a file to construct the nib. I hope to get a lot of use out of this one. I think this size is going to come in handy.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Love it! A great rebuild!
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Outstanding! Very nice work to bring an old saw back to life. The nib is a nice touch!
    Happy and Safe Turning, Don

Woodturners make the world go ROUND!

That handle looks awesome. I love how QSWO looks. Pretty stuff.

Stupid question, but what is the practical use of the nib?
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

No clue Adam! There seem to be conflicting answers all across the web. Not sure if anyone knows the actual reason. I filed that nib after watching the Logan Cabinet Shoppe podcast where Bob did the same to another panel saw. The Schwarz posted a blog entry recently speculating on the use of the nib. He had a theory that it was used as a makeshift compass. The nib fit on a pivot point, such as a small nail or brad, and the pencil registered on the teeth. This allowed you almost unlimited options for circle size. Seems practical enough to me. All I know is that I think it looks cool. And that was a good enough reason for me to file it!