Thread: Vintage Saw question

Vintage Saw question

So I went with a friend yesterday to the Ohio Historical Society, and thjey had on display a re-creation of an 1890's wagon making shop, belt driven tools powered off of a steam boiler, all very well done. On a bench there was a tool box with two panel saws, not back saws, that looked like regular panel saws but they were very stubby, shorter than a standard Lie Nielson dovetail saw. Any idea what these two panel saws would ahve been used for? I am assuming some part of wagon building/coach building involves very short cuts through finished wood....sorry I didn't have my Camera with me at the time...

Blog Entries
    n a bench there was a tool box with two panel saws, not back saws, that looked like regular panel saws but they were very stubby, shorter than a standard Lie Nielson dovetail saw. Any idea what these two panel saws would ahve been used for? I am assuming some part of wagon building/coach building involves very short cuts through finished wood
    Maybe for cutting the wheel's spokes?

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

How tall were the plates? Could they have been used for gentle curves?
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Quote Originally Posted by Joshua Pierce View Post
    How tall were the plates? Could they have been used for gentle curves?
    Plates were size of standard panel saw, or slightly smaller.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Koepke View Post
    Maybe for cutting the wheel's spokes?

jtk
    Possibly....this is as good of an answer as I can think of.

Chris,

You have glimpsed a vary rare treasure there !
    Those are Silmarillion Hobbit saws.
    Because Hobbit folk's stature and arm length are considerably less than you and I and even the people of the period you spoke of, for a Hobbit to be able to cross cut or rip a shorter saw is more appropriate.
    Look for symbols left in the metal of the saw by the Silvan Wood Elves of Mirkwood in elfin ruins. These only become visible under a full moon.

PS: How is it you don't have a camera in your phone. Homeless people in the US have phones with cameras. Nomadic herders in the Serengeti have cell phones with cameras. Being of even a lower and poorer life form than the two mentioned above I do not have a cell phone at all and yet . . .
    . . . I always have my old and now embarrassingly out of date, iPod touch with me which has not only a camera but a freegin' movie camera.
    well . . .
    Last edited by Winton Applegate; 07-23-2013 at 3:28 PM.
    Sharpening is Facetating.
    Good enough is good enough
    But
    Better is Better.