Thread: Vintage saw question #2...

Vintage saw question #2...

In a fairly well equipped one man cabinet shop of say 1790 or 1830, how many actual back saws would a decent cabinet maker usually own? My guess would be 3 or 4, but I would like historical info if anyone has it....

The book WITH HAMMER IN HAND has good info and photos on tools from the Dominy shop. It was a family business for several generations before being closed up and undisturbed for a long time.

I've been meaning to get a copy of the Dominy book . . . thanks for reminding me, Mel!

Rather than hazard un-warranted speculation, I will mention that Seaton chest had 2 panel saws, (a 5 and 7 point) and 4 backsaws (a 11" carcase, 14" sash, 19" tenon, 9" dovetail) as well as a keyhole and turning saws.

There's apt to be more to be found in historical inventories, I just can't think of the words of how to look for things.

George, with his experience at Williamsburg ought well have some insight, and I'd imagine Joel from TFWW and Adam Cherubini would have good info as well.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

In 'The Joiner and Cabinet Maker' - a sort of guide book for prospective apprentices in 1839, following one apprentice, Thomas, to illustrate the sort of work expected of them - the only back saws mentioned are one sash saw and one dovetail saw. Of course that doesn't mean there weren't other variations about the shop, just that Thomas didn't use them.

Check out the full list of tool here: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...ings-from-1839

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Ainslie View Post
    In 'The Joiner and Cabinet Maker' - a sort of guide book for prospective apprentices in 1839, following one apprentice, Thomas, to illustrate the sort of work expected of them - the only back saws mentioned are one sash saw and one dovetail saw. Of course that doesn't mean there weren't other variations about the shop, just that Thomas didn't use them.

Check out the full list of tool here: http://www.popularwoodworking.com/wo...ings-from-1839
    Thanks for the link.

Look to working shops in existence today that mainly use hand tools.

Ron Herman makes frequent reference to a small rip saw (without a back) that's used for lots of tasks.
    It's easier to keep one tool sharp, and work within it's limits than to lug around an assortment.

There's something to the alignment of a "deeper" plate on a backsaw that makes starting a straight cut difficult for me.
    I'm typically reaching for a half-back if it's more than 2" deep - longer blade, less weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Matthews View Post
    Look to working shops in existence today that mainly use hand tools.

Ron Herman makes frequent reference to a small rip saw (without a back) that's used for lots of tasks.
    It's easier to keep one tool sharp, and work within it's limits than to lug around an assortment.

There's something to the alignment of a "deeper" plate on a backsaw that makes starting a straight cut difficult for me.
    I'm typically reaching for a half-back if it's more than 2" deep - longer blade, less weight.
    Kind of what I was thinking...right now I have the small back saw I got off of you, a Veritas Carcass saw, ordered a Lie Nielson Dovetail saw, I have an old Freud Backsaw I use for small Tennons, and I use a Japanese saw for some tasks. Thinking If I were to get one slightly larger rip filed Carcass saw I should be good.