Thread: Introduction

Blog Entries

Introduction

Hello all,

I realized today that I never did a proper introduction on this site. I am a long-time lurker and recently became a contributor because I have been buying up tools on the classifieds section. I build wood kayaks, surfboards, and small boats. My latest build is a Welsford 6m Whaler that I just did the form patterns for, and am amassing money for the plywood for the real forms. I have two big 43' fir sticks off a sailboat that I salvaged and will resaw those and make birdsmouth masts and stringers. The strakes will be Oakoume ply with the sheer strake being mahogany. I am adding a mahogany cabin as well. (open cuddy cabin)

I recently finished a Baby tender for my daughter who was born March 20. Here is a video I did of it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H--chXSqgcc The transom is local mahogany, the strakes Port Orford Cedar, and the gunwales and accents are flamed maple. The inlay on the transom is done in abalone.

I also have some surfboard videos on my YouTube. Feel free to browse. I design and build wood surfboards. If any of you have the Grizzly Tools catalog and have seen the "Malco" SUP kit that they market for Wood Surfboard Supply, well I designed that one. The lovely lady in the image is my wife. The board is the first prototype and has the VI flag inlaid on the nose. (I live in St. Thomas) http://www.grizzly.com/products/Surf...lco-SUP/T23407

The real reason I joined this site is because I am getting more into furniture building. I'm now building a solid mahogany sewing table for my mother-in-law (gotta stay in good with her!) with birdseye maple veneer panels. That said, here I am already posting in the boat section! Well, I wasn't sure where to best do an introduction and mostly I build stuff that floats.

So anyway, I believe in proper introductions for forum posting. Thanks for all those that I have bought tools from on the classifieds. I am in the process of a major tool upgrade so I have been buying up Lie Nielsen and Veritas stuff here and on eBay.

Cheers!

Malcolm

Tough crowd!

Read some of your posts in the General forum and was kind of curious of your background. Now I know. See you on the other side...........

Very interesting work, boat building. I look forward to watching the videos. I should be getting my copy of bud Mcintosh "How to Build a Wooden Boat" soon.
    Paul

Holy cow is that ever some nice work! Love the boat/cradle.
    Paul

Blog Entries
    Sorry, I guess I didn't subscribe to my own thread, so I missed the replies! Thanks Paul, I am very seriously considering building a couple of them and putting them in an art gallery that is located at a mega-yacht harbor and caters to the disgustingly rich! I figure one in davits, and one with rockers. What do you think I should price one at? I'm thinking $5,000+. They just sold a mahogany chair (mind you, it was a VERY cool chair, but....) For $13,000. It takes a WHOLE lot of hand work, especially to do 298 copper rivets, plus all the inlay work, not to mention varnishing a riveted lapstrake is no easy task either. (I guess I could have sprayed it, but it just didn't seem right.)