Thread: Cutting angled tenons

Cutting angled tenons

I have some dining chairs I am going to be building and I am wondering what is the easiest way to cut angled tenons. I have never cut them, I have an idea on how to do it but would like to hear from those that have experience. Thanks

The safest way is with a tenioning jig for your table saw mine can be set at any angle up to 45.

I have recently built several hexagonal tables with the base of each containing 42 mortise & tenons none of which are at right angles (at least in one plane). For the 1st table, the tenoning jig that I had for my tablesaw would not tilt the required 30 degrees so I ended up making a jig that slid along the fence for the appropriate angle. This worked OK but was not ideal. For my second & third tables, I purchased the Leigh FMT jig which worked extremely well. It was expensive but, I intend on getting a whole lot of use out of it.
    Steve

In the mood to buy something new?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Daigh
    I have some dining chairs I am going to be building and I am wondering what is the easiest way to cut angled tenons. I have never cut them, I have an idea on how to do it but would like to hear from those that have experience. Thanks
    If you are planning on doing chairs with any frequency, consider getting/making a slot mortiser or horizontal router setup. Makes short work of angled mortise and tenons.

Can be as simple as the one shown in Yeung Chan's book or you could buy a MultiRouter for several thousand dollars.

Tablesaw jigs work but are slower, however you can get one for about $75 which is hard to beat.

This is also knuckle dragging work, if you want to approach it that way. If you will bring one side of your stock to parallel with the tenon (which on a chair is oft required), then you can mark it with a mortise guage, and cut it with a back saw. The mortising can be done with an angle setup on a drill press and finished by paring with a chisel.
    Alan Turner
    Philadelphia Furniture Workshop