Thread: Family room design/furniture question...

Family room design/furniture question...

Can I mix Queen Anne and Mission/Arts and Crafts styles in the same room? We currently have a Camel back Sofa and two wing chairs in our family room, am going to replace the furniture in the rest of the room with stuff from my work shop. I would like to build some mission style, simple stuff (maybe not Greene and Greene, etc....). Can this stuff work together visually in the same room? I would build mission style chairs/couch, but the Camel Back and the Wing chairs are light. I've four teenage children living in the house, nice to have stuff moveable...people play chess, play board games, watch movies, move stuff around to get comfortable reading, etc...Any thoughts appreciated, thanks.

I think it can work just fine. And down the road you might decide to replace those Queen Anne pieces.

My opinion is that it is your house. You are the one who has to look at it every day. What is your or your boss's opinion? Those are the only ones that count.
    I have seen several rooms where furniture styles are mixed and the people who lived there liked it that way.
    Laser - Universal PLS 6.60; CNC Router - Gerber 408
    Corel 9 & Corel X2
    Hollow Woodworks

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    I think it can work just fine. And down the road you might decide to replace those Queen Anne pieces.

My apologies to any and all folks who love the Queen Anne stuff. It is beautiful, its just that as a bachelor I have little room in my life for swan-necks and curlicues .
    "A hen is only an egg's way of making another egg".

– Samuel Butler

Just use the term "eclectic" and you'll be fine.

Bob Lang

I think mixing Queen Anne and Arts and Crafts style furniture in the same room will cause spontaneous combustion and destroy everything.

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post

My apologies to any and all folks who love the Queen Anne stuff. It is beautiful, its just that as a bachelor I have little room in my life for swan-necks and curlicues .
    See, I am a married guy with three daughters, and two sons. I have worked construction and skilled trade type jobs my whole adult life. I love queens anne, I have a real 18th century Queen Anne low boy in my master bed room...my wife and daughters love mission and arts and crafts stuff, and give me no end of grief about my "Manley" Queen Anne stuff...

Thanks for the vote of confidence, as soon as the hardwood floor is laid and the rom is painted it's off to the workshop to play I'm the Quarter sawn white oak...