Thread: First time using SketchUp... Constructive criticism please?

First time using SketchUp... Constructive criticism please?

Hey guys!

(Ok... How do I upload an .skp that is 220KB in size?)

Please be gentle. So I started using SketchUp. Frustrating, but I can totally see how easy it will be once I hone my skills. Anyway, I have a potential (BIG) job nearly in the bag. We've agreed on the drawing from a functional standpoint. I still have some structural issues to attend to. The unit will be anchored to the concrete floor. There are some structural elements that are flat out not even drawn yet. So I am asking a couple of things from you guys.

1. What would you do differently, structurally speaking?

2. WHat would you differently from a SketchUp POV? Like how I approached implementing the structural ideas?

Any tips would be highly appreciated as always.

I sent the proposal today, and I know it's within his acceptable range. I expect confirmation today.

Thanx!!!
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Michael, the maximum file size for a skp file is 97.7 kb. You would have to compress it using a zip program.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

97.7 Kb for a SketchUp file is practically nothing.

Michael, I'd be happy to take a look at your SketchUp file and offer some constructive criticism if you want it. I'll PM you with my e-mail address.

Here it is... ZIP file... Duh!!!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Thanx,

shotgunn

-----------------

More is DEFINITELY more!!!

Got it by e-mail and replied.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post
    Got it by e-mail and replied.

Your in good hands now Michael.

This is worth learning. In the eyes of your clients it will set you light years ahead of sooooo many others bidding for the same job. I have yet to lose a job that I have developed in SU. I don't give the clients access to my files or even to SU Reader but I do make a presentation with screen shots of my jobs that I run through a photo program and then attach to a PDF for e-mailing a proposal or print for a hands-on show & tell. If you have a lap top or iPad,or the like, you can show the client as much or as little as you choose. The picture, as you know,is worth a 1,000...
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

For those who don't have SketchUp, I've posted a view Michael's refined model.

I took out the company sign on the front of the desk.

I'd buy from you based on that Michael, there's enough information, enough render to make it look real (without overdoing it) it's efficient and does what it is supposed to (gives a great idea of what "I'm" paying for without costing you or me shed loads of money for what amounts to a picture.

best wishes

Dave
    You did what !

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    1. What would you do differently, structurally speaking?
    Not following what you mean with regards to "structurally speaking"? Assuming this is a quick initial rendering to convey your intent and mutual understanding of the design to your customer and not meant to be shop drawings. Saying this only because there isnt any "structure" there looking at it xray its just hollow shapes.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael Dunn View Post
    2. WHat would you differently from a SketchUp POV? Like how I approached implementing the structural ideas?
    My routine is to do basically what you have here initially. A down and dirty, fast, but nice looking rendering. I generally go a bit farther and put the piece in the actual space its going to reside. I take photos of the space on the initial meeting using a scaling app on my phone that lets me snap a few photos and then draw reasonably accurate measurements off that photo in the office. This is opposed to having to take a detailed measure on an initial meeting that may never bear fruit. It can take several hours to accurately measure a space, make story poles, and so on, if needed. Not worth doing on an initial estimate. After sketchup I run the model through a rendering/ray tracing program (I use Podium) which makes them look a little more photo-realistic (good for excitement).

I use these very rough drawings to get to the contract stage.

If the job goes forward I go back in and do a completely detailed and accurate drawing. I mentioned it here before but I also use a paid plug-in called Cabinet Sense that allows for very fast box, door, drawer, drawing. Its a major labor saver for me without the $5k expense of a bigger program. I use this to build virtually every non curved component in the project. Cabinet Sense will then generate a detailed cut list of every single part, a bill of materials, door schedule, and so on. Curved parts, trim, millwork, I draw separately.

From this detailed drawing all cutlists are exported and printed and then your simply in erector set mode. Go to the shop and start cutting.

The major bonus of spending the time in the drawing is if you cant put it together in the software, you cant build it in the shop. You will head off so many pitfalls, small details, head scratching, and wasted material to goofs, its well worth it. Sketchup is a good mid-point. There are much faster and better options out there if your volume is high but until your volume is there (mine isnt) they are a massive investment financially.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Richards View Post

For those who don't have SketchUp, I've posted a view Michael's refined model.

I took out the company sign on the front of the desk.
    Dave, I would be interest to hear your input as well. I spend a LOT of time in sketchup and always interested to hear anything that pertains to sketchup and shop/production type stuff.

I know there are tons of resources out there for sketchup users but it doesnt seem to be a hot topic here. I have often been surprised there isnt a sketchup forum or that it isnt more prevalent in the design forum.

Its been a major asset to me.

Hi Mark, I did give michael some input and showed him some ways to improve his efficiency in drawing. In fact we drew the version I posted as an image together and I showed him how to make a cleaner model that can be easily modified and fleshed out when the time comes for more details.

I do some design and drawing work for a number of woodworkers. The typical thing is they have a client who wants a piece of furniture built. They have some basic ideas which I take and run with. I'll create a few proposal sketches for the client to look at. We'll often go back and forth a few times until we have a final idea and then I create a plan with a materials list for the woodworker to use. I guess it's probably similar to your approach. I have created some sketchy line styles that I use for early proposal drawings. These have a looser feel to them. I do this for several reasons. Since the design is in it's early stages I don't want the client to get mentally locked into a specific design until I know we are all on the same page. As the design progresses toward final, I tighten the style I use.

SketchUp is indeed a useful tool for woodworkers. Still some folks prefer to do it all in their heads, in pencil on the back of an envelope or by the seat of their pants and that's fine, too. Once in awhile some goofball comes along and says that SketchUp stinks and that everyone should be using Solidworks instead. That just makes me shake my head and laugh since a seat of Solidworks costs more than many woodworkers have invested in their tools. There are other woodworking forums where SketchUp tends to be more heavily discussed but I guess it is against the rules to mention them. It's also summer and I suppose most creekers are off doing other things instead of sitting at their computers.

I'd be happy to chat with you sometime off forum if you like. Drop me a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Bolton View Post
    I have often been surprised there isnt a sketchup forum or that it isnt more prevalent in the design forum.

Its been a major asset to me.
    Major asset to me too. I agree that SU could be a regular topic on the Creek. Even the non pro woodworker types could benefit as it helps to add proportion and scale and clarity to what might otherwise just be an idea. Yes, there are many design options out there but SU is still free and pretty easy to learn - at least to begin making progress with... . I use it so much less than I could and still it is a great asset. Sorry for those who have yet to experience the benefits
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge