Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Veritas or Lie Nielson Router plane?

The array of carving gouges is mind boggling. So many skills lost. Thanks Charlie.

2. Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mack View Post
    The array of carving gouges is mind boggling. So many skills lost. Thanks Charlie.
    A reminder of what our forebears were capable of:

http://www.ronaldphillipsantiques.co....aspx?tabid=19

3. Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Mack View Post
    Kind of cool to try to get your head wrapped around how this crisp little lovely from 1775 was designed, laid out, and made:

http://www.ronaldphillipsantiques.co...ategoryid=1362

Coolest tools in the world wouldn't get 99.9% of us past the first blank sheet of paper staring up at us. I know it wouldn't me.

Wild horses could not keep me from buying every bright, shiny, brass and bronze 'dude' tool in the world if I thought they would give me even a .001% better chance of executing this chair.
    Last edited by Charlie Stanford; 08-03-2013 at 6:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Charlie Stanford View Post
    A reminder of what our forebears were capable of:

http://www.ronaldphillipsantiques.co....aspx?tabid=19

I love looking at this stuff, but it is not the kind of stuff I want to live with on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cogswell View Post
    Chalk up another LV Router plane user. I bought it primarily for the flexibility of having more blade choices as well as what I perceived to be a better fence. I'm more lukewarm about the LV fence than the rest here - while it works well in many ways the adjusting hardware hangs well below the fence itself, preventing its use on 3/4" stock that is flat on the bench. The adjusting hardware must hang over the edge of the bench, which I frequently find annoying. Other than that nit, I love the LV and have taken advantage of its smaller blades several times.

Like some of you, most of my bench planes are LN, but I still have several LV planes as well. Personally I'm very thankful we have the choice between two excellent companies with such outstanding products and customer service. I think we are fortunate to live in a virtual golden age of woodworking tools.

Glad to have another vote of confidence for LV, just sent them my order Friday.

Just browsing through that Marples catalog, a couple things come to mind (besides all Charlie points out) - I wish you could still buy new chisels and gouges without handles, and I wonder where I can get my hands on the "bench or block knife" listed on page 20 (going by the page numbers up top, page 39 by the PDF page numbers) - I've seen one, or something similar, used in a couple videos (I believe one of them was the Swedish spoon and clog making video making the rounds a while back) and it seems like a useful tool.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

That is an awesome catalog, Charles. Thank you for posting.

Look at the names for the tools! Wagonmaker chisel. Coachmaker chisel. Look at the number of gouges - it looks like a different gouge for each 1% of radius! A century after the industrial revolution, it looks as if men were still making a lot of stuff by hand.

Don't own either one (I have Stanleys), but, last I looked, the Lee Valley was cheaper by a lot.

Were you buying the small router plane - the one that's the size of the Stanley 271 - I'd recommend the LN, because Lee Valley's is not among their best designs.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Were you buying the small router plane - the one that's the size of the Stanley 271 - I'd recommend the LN, because Lee Valley's is not among their best designs.
    Au contraire my good fellow. I will concede that the Veritas designed round shaft should have a flat spot to stop the bugger spinning around. However you have to but both Lie-Nielsens at a cost of $160 to get the open and closed mouths that the Veritas offers in one unit at only $55.

Thanks but I'll live with their 'poor design'.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Hilton - I'm Assuming your talking about how the LV plane, you can flip the blade in the body, and use the back of the body as an open mouth design?

On my original look at the LN plane on their website, I was surprised that it didn't seem like you could do that (or at least, there was no mention) but looking at the Craftsman studio page for the LN small router it does look like that is an option with that plane as well.

Don't know how well it works in practice with either plane, I don't have any small router planes.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    Au contraire my good fellow. I will concede that the Veritas designed round shaft should have a flat spot to stop the bugger spinning around. However you have to but both Lie-Nielsens at a cost of $160 to get the open and closed mouths that the Veritas offers in one unit at only $55.

Thanks but I'll live with their 'poor design'.
    I had the small LV router, but the spinning blade caused me to sell it. I replaced it with the Shopfox model which is the same as the LN - and if I ever need to replace the blade, the LN fits it. That said - I've only needed it a couple of times when the dado was close enough that the large wouldn't fit. My large is a LV.

I wonder if one could grind a flat spot on the shaft of the Veritas? It may then need a slightly longer screw though. Alternatively, the miniature version of the big router plane seems to have the square blade which should work better. For routing out hinges it would be useful.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Houghton View Post
    Don't own either one (I have Stanleys), but, last I looked, the Lee Valley was cheaper by a lot.

In my opinion, neither the LV nor the LN small router planes are good. I owned the LN small router plane and I couldn't lock the blade tight enough without using a screwdriver on it.

Additionally, trying to adjust the height of the blade in small increments is very difficult.

The really small (miniature) LV plane is the best design, but is too small for most use. The blade locks tight and there's a screw adjustment for the blade height so you can make small adjustments when routing out a hinge mortise.

And a (good) small router plane is needed because sometime you have a hinge mortise that is in a tight spot and you just can't get the big router plane in.

Message to Rob Lee - scale up the miniature router plane and give us a small router plane that's usable.

Mike
    Go into the world and do well. But more importantly, go into the world and do good.

If you want a small router plane consider the LV miniture
    http://www.leevalley.com/US/wood/pag...at=1,230,41182
    great blade adjustment mechanism and a depth stop. A serious small plane.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    I wonder if one could grind a flat spot on the shaft of the Veritas? It may then need a slightly longer screw though.
    A flat on the shaft will not work with the small Veritas as the locking screw does not act like a set screw on the shaft. The blade shaft goes inside a round blade clamp, and the screw pulls the clamp into the back of the body of the plane.