Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overhang proportions for small box

Blog Entries

Overhang proportions for small box

I am building a small box to house our pet's remains(cremated). His box that he was returned to us in is 6" W x 4" h x -3/4" D Obviously my dimensions will be slightly larger to accommodate the plastic box. I want to have a small base and a top that are larger dimensions than the base box. How do I determine or what do you think would be a good overhang and should the base and top overhang the same amount?

Thanks all,
    Tim

Quote Originally Posted by tim walker View Post
    I am building a small box to house our pet's remains(cremated). His box that he was returned to us in is 6" W x 4" h x -3/4" D Obviously my dimensions will be slightly larger to accommodate the plastic box. I want to have a small base and a top that are larger dimensions than the base box. How do I determine or what do you think would be a good overhang and should the base and top overhang the same amount?

Thanks all,
    Tim
    Oh Man, I don't have any input on your box dimensions, and sounds sappy, but it always kills me to hear of someone losing a pet, so sorry. Every time I say never again, done with pets, then time passes..

Tim,

My condolences on the loss of your family member.

How big do you expect the box itself do be? Do you have a sort of furniture style you want to evoke? I think those sorts of things would help to sort out the over hang.

Blog Entries
    Thanks Dave, he passed away back in December so we are over grieving and now time to make a nice memorial. he base box will stand 5" tall and will be 7 3/4" wide x 4.5" deep. It will be made from mesquite(we are in Texas BTW) For the base and top I intend to route some sort of an ogee edge. Not sure if base and top should be same size

Tim, is the dimension of the plastic box 6x4x3/4?

Would you like I should sketch out some options for you?

Blog Entries
    Yes please Dave if you have time. It would be much appreciated. I dabble a little in Sketch-up but not proficient. Have been using Visio to draw. 6"x 4" x 2-3/4" for the plastic box. My stock is 3/4" I have the sides, giving 1/8" clearance all the way so my sides would be 7-3/4" x 4-1/2" x 3/4" (QTY 2) and 4 1/2" x 4-1/2" x 3/4" (QTY 2) I can't draw the ogee edges with Visio.

Aha! 2-3/4" not 3/4 as you first post showed.

Do you want to draw it together? I could set up a thing to share my screen with you.

Blog Entries

Blog Entries

RUdys Box Side View

Rudys Box Side View.JPG Rudy's Box View from Side

Blog Entries
    Unfortunately Dave I have to leave in a few minutes. Are you using Sketchup?

No worries. Yes, I'm using SketchUp. I've about got a view for you with the top and bottom having the same dimensions and the ogees on both.

I pulled the ogee out of my hat so we'd need to figure out the correct dimensions for it based on the tools you have at hand.

Two more quickies for the moment.

The one from above to the left.
    In the center, same lid, no base.
    On the right, lid outside dimensions same as box for a more Asian feel.

In all cases, I've put a rabbet around the underside of the lid and on top of the base on the left so there's 5/8 in. of material thickness shown.

Blog Entries
    Dave, thanks so much. Is there a file you can send so I can mess with it in SU? My email address is tw69 @ Earthlink.net no spaces.

Done...

But I got an auto-reply indicating the e-mail was rejected.