Thread: Ergonomic (Windsor) chair design?

Blog Entries

Ergonomic (Windsor) chair design?

The discount store "ergonomic" office chair I am using seems to cause me considerable back pain. I have been searching chairs for years now and still have not found what I am looking for. Some of the most comfortable chairs I have had the pleasure of sitting in were Windsor type chairs that sit in Highland Woodworking crafted I believe in their chair building classes.

I realize that what a chair may feel like just sitting in it for a few minuets in a store may not translate well to continual use at a desk where I spend lots of time on my computer. Still none of the "ergonomic" manufactured chairs I have tried/owned seems to offer the solution either. I am hoping to get input from those here who may have used Windsor chairs regularly who may have a better feel for their long term affect on back pain. There are, of course, many options in the design of these chairs that may affect actual back comfort. Before I actually enroll in an expensive class or simply try to build one of these chairs I would like to have a better idea of the more practical design features that affect the comfort of these chairs.

I have also been considering buying one of the kits for Windsor chairs. Although I understand the increased design and construction options available to one who builds their own, not knowing exactly what might work in my case, seems to me, to limit my ability to build something better. Maybe by building/modifying a kit, I might learn enough to allow me to come up with a better design.
    Last edited by Mike Holbrook; 07-28-2013 at 12:54 PM.