Thread: Lifting weights?

Smile Lifting weights?

Just read Derek's thread "How Do You Lift A Gorilla??? "

I'm wondering how many of you have invested in some form of "mechanical advantage" system for moving heavy objects in your shops? For many, this is a recurring problem, whether it's just moving a machine out for work or loading in a new jointer.

Curious about any systems more sophisticated than "buy beer for the neighbors" .

Some have mentioned chain hoists, block and fall, engine hoist, putting all machines on a base that a pallet jack can get under (also eliminating mobile bases in some cases), and of course you lucky country dwellers with front loaders and such.

Not looking for any scientific poll results here, but to me a safe 'lift' is just as much a justifiable tool/expense in the shop as the planer is. (Especially after lifting things the "wrong way" a couple of times .)

Gary
    Last edited by Gary Sutherland; 05-25-2005 at 4:23 AM.

Recently I have used my tractor twice. My dad recently welded a set of hooks on my loader bucket for me so I can pick things up with that fairly high. I installed the top of my jointer that way. I also have a platform for the 3 point hitch that will lift up high enough to be level with my trailer's deck and goes far enough down to that its only about 4" to the ground. That's how I unloaded my planer. Before that I didn't have any heavy enough tools to require anything besides my table saw which was delivered by my old neighbor who is the manager of the local Delta dealer.

I am fotunate to have a chain falls in my adjoining garage,for the really heavy stuff.For getting it from the garage to the woodshed,I usually contact a friend for assistance.

I bought an engine hoist a few years back. It as become essential for moving tools, as well as hleping me put big pieces of wood on my lathe.

Paul

If anyone is interested-- the local Kragen's-- Checkers and ?? auto parts store, has hydraulic tables on sale for $99. They are great for lifting heavy items.
    Jerry

Gary...

Please checkout my thread on rigging and machine moving to see how rigging gear can be used. Not as kludgy as using engine hoists for most applications.
    Had the dog not stopped to go to the bathroom, he would have caught the rabbit.

Like Matt, I sometimes use my loader to lift something heavy, particularly off the back of my Tundra. In the shop, I utilize leverage for things that I can handle safely, but if not, I call a friend to help. For example, when I mounted the blower for my Oneida 2hp Commercial cyclone, Fred Voorhees jumped over the river to give me a hand with it, especially since it was in close quarters. The most important tool for lifting is your brain...think it through.
    --

The most expensive tool is the one you buy "cheaply" and often...

A real issue for me as I am moving volumes of timber frequently. I have :-

2 Hydraulic lift tables - These are used as input and output tables for repetitive machining, variable height worksurfaces for sanding etc as well as general mobility trolleys.

1 pallet truck - standard. For moving pallets of timber and machines when necessary.

1 high lift pallet truck for moving pallets of timber and to act as a variable height loading surface for tasks like thicknessing bulk timber.

1 Pallet Stacker - Hydraulic fork lift type machine - purchased 2nd hand off Ebay for £75 ($130ish) which is used for all kind of lifting and lowering tasks. I am just in the process of upgrading to a full electric driven version.

The hydraulic lift tables are the most versatile and useful. They are rated 350KG (770lb) and are in constant use - every home should have one (at least)