Thread: Outdoor sign

Outdoor sign

Been doing signs for a few years, but have been mostly inside signs (laser engraved some vinyl ). I have a customer that would like me to make a sign for outside her business. The sign is approx. 23"h x 40" long and will be hung via chain from two points. Would 6mm PVC board be the right material for this job? The sign will have vinyl cut lettering attached to it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You can get by with that if you are hanging it below and overhang where it's not subject to the elements, and it will hold up fine. If it's exposed, I'd go with 10mm or 13mm, because the 6mm can warp and the color fade. 6mm is best when mounted flush or on a post. It will help if you sheet it with vinyl background color first but it will still warp in the sun. The best material for that is .080 aluminum or 4mm Alumalite or the equivalent though I have also done them in 1/2" MDO.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Thanks Joe for information!

Joe,

I plan on using the 4mm alum clad material. For hanging the sign how do you typically hang the sign so the holes don't get enlarged over time?

Thanks again for all your help.

Rich

I will usually drill 1/4" holes and then use #0 brass grommets, which are just deep enough for 4mm material.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

Joe,

Thanks for your suggestions. I delivered the sign to the customer yesterday and she loved it!

Thanks again.

Rich

Great, I hope you got a picture after it was installed to show potential customers.

Sammamish, WA

Joe,

Sure did. I will post a copy here later today.

Picture of completed sign
    Attached Images Attached Images

Great design and nice workmanship. well done!

Sammamish, WA