Thread: Coopered Pocket

Coopered Pocket

An easy extension of the Bird’s Mouth Spar technique:

Continued…
    “Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Items for boats are finished different from items of furniture…besides the exterior finishes….this is 50-50 Daly’s Teak Oil and BLO wet-sanded into the mahogany followed by 6 coats of Epiphanes spar varnish…there can be no crisp edges because crisp edges won’t hold varnish very long in sun, sea and sand.

“Perhaps then, you will say, ‘But where can one have a boat like that built today?’ And I will tell you that there are still some honest men who can sharpen a saw, plane, or adze...men (who) live and work in out of the way places, but that is lucky, for they can acquire materials for one third of city prices. Best, some of these gentlemen’s boatshops are in places where nothing but the occasional honk of a wild goose will distract them from their work.” -- L Francis Herreshoff

Beautiful, Bob.

Is that some sort of brass winch handle?

And this is the second reference to Daly's teak oil you've mentioned since I started paying attention. Did you say it darkens the wood less than BLO but isn't as expensive as other oils?
    Marc

What do you use to cut the birds mouth Bob? I hear this term used on WBF but haven't had use for it yet. Maybe I have a use now that i've seen it used for something other than masts and spars... Hmmm, thinking about curved cabinet fronts and pillar like details in my kitchen...

Thanks

John

PS how did that chart case come out that you were working on a couple of days ago??

It's the handle for a small bronze Wilcox-Crit winch.

The birdsmouths are done on TS, router or shaper. I used the TS.

Daly's is a petroleum based polymerizing oil that soaks in deep and sets up fast. The dried linseed particles left in the wood pores really sparkle in the sunlight. Mixing it with Daly's just makes it all faster...you can varnish the next day as opposed to several days.
    Last edited by Bob Smalser; 05-25-2005 at 10:04 AM.

Here's another small epiphany....

For boats with no electrics liable to be caught out after dark in the ferry lanes.

The mount is a stock, bronze flagpole socket salvaged from an old boat and the lamp is a high-quality reproduction of a turn-of-the-century anchor lamp. I'll add a safety lanyard later.

It all comes apart for storage in the boat until needed.

Moving to Boat Building Forum...
    Glenn Clabo
    Michigan