Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Epilog Mini Motherboard Replacement - FREE

Epilog Mini Motherboard Replacement - FREE

Okay, I was cleaning my machine last night and forgot to turn it off. When I looked down and saw the display was out, I nearly freaked. Decided to log on here and see if I could find any help. Based on other posts, figured out the motherboard went out. I called Epilog today to find out how quickly they could send a new one out to me, and I was completely prepared to pay $995 for the replacement. So, you can imagine my surprise when I found out that they were sending the new out free of charge, overnight. My machine is 3 years and is no longer under warranty. Authorized the $400 core charge that will get refunded when they send me the new one. WOW! I love Epilog support.
    Cherie Irwin
    St. Louis, Missouri
    Photographer & Stationery Designer

Epilog Mini 18 40 Watt
    Adobe Illustrator CS5 & Photoshop CS5

Cherie, glad to hear that you have received such a great response from Epilog, especially as the warranty had been well put to bed. As good as it gets, what is better that this story is not unique amongst other owners, but one of the reasons we'd recommend them. Glad that yours has been replaced and that it'll be up and running in no time.
    Epilog 45w Helix X3/X5 Corel Microflame Generator (flame polisher) Heat Bender

You're a lucky duck! I wonder why they sent you a free one though - is there something about leaving your laser on all night that we should know about?

There is no doubt that Epilog has great tech support, but this is generous. Good for you!
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Dee, I didn't leave my machine on all night. I was cleaning the machine while it was on. They think I may have got something wet and short circuited the power circuit. It may have had something to do with the part of the board that was damaged, rather than just an old board that went bad. All that I really know is that it is was the particular model number that was in my machine that was considered defective.
    Cherie Irwin
    St. Louis, Missouri

Epilog Mini 18 40 Watt

Ah - thanks for clearing that up - I mis-read your post. At any rate, glad you got your laser back in running order quickly with the least amount of pain and aggravation!
    Epilog Mini 18/25w & 35w, Mac and Vaio, Corel x3, typical art toys, airbrush... I'm a Laserhead, my husband is a Neanderthal - go figure

Red Coin Mah Jong

Another example of why my company owns Epilog. Great customer service and parts are a day away. Can't say that with the Chinese lasers.

Cherie;
    Glad it worked out well for you and sorry you had to wait a day for the part. Easy and inexpensive to have parts on hand for my Shenhui, and a Skype call get me a response within 6 hours, but really very seldom have any issues.
    Best Regards,
    George
    Laserarts
    *twin 80 watt Shenhui 1280
    *60 watt Laserpro Mercury -42ips
    *(2) 30 watt Laserpro Venus-42 ips
    *whole bunch of woodworking/metalworking machines
    *128 screwdrivers (all needed)
    *wonderful wife (1st) of 53 years who allows me to collect screwdrivers

All that I really know is that it is was the particular model number that was in my machine that was considered defective.
    Err the part was known to be defective already by Epilog?

Can't say that with the Chinese lasers.
    Last time XYZ Laser shipped a machine with a less than required paint job the boss fired the entire department and the line boss, failure in Chinese companies comes at a hell of a price.

best wishes

Dave
    You did what !

Dave, I think it was a recent discovery. After a number of people had to replace their motherboards due to a short in the power (something or other), they started replacing boards that experienced that particular problem for free. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with Chinese lasers. I don't want to get into that debate. I'm sure it is like going down the road of Canon vs. Nikon with photographers, or Democrat vs. Republican with your siblings or Protestant vs. Catholic in Ireland. I just don't care to debate.

In the end, I'm happy that it didn't cost me a dime to replace the motherboard...not even shipping fees.
    Cherie Irwin
    St. Louis, Missouri

Epilog Mini 18 40 Watt

Great all round result Cherie it is nice when a manufacturer realises there is a problem and supports their customers.

best wishes

Dave
    You did what !

Nice Cheri! You know when folks here talk of customer service for any brand of laser maybe, just maybe other brands will take notice....
    and maybe improve their customer service...

Epilog didn't have to replace the board for free.... it was three years old...... but, upstanding companies correct their mistakes.

I'm researching a new laser now for a purchase in the Spring, and I have noticed that more companies are improving service. I have2
    Epilogs now and may get a 3rd in the spring... we'll see..
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!

That is another Great Epilog Story with a great ending and resulted in 12 posts already on the GREAT JOB Epilog did... You can't buy that positive PR and brand loyalty...

Likely a simple component failure that they have found and fix. It would have been interesting to take detail photos of the old board and the new board. As a Sony tech we would put a ink dot on a replaced common fail part to show it was already replaced to other tech's. That is how I found the fix for a bunch of Sirius Orbiter Radios with a antenna fault. Saw the dot on the U1 voltage regulator on another unit caused by pinching the wire in the door.

One happy customer tells 10 people one un happy customer tells 100... Good to see this post.

AL
    Last edited by AL Ursich; 08-29-2014 at 12:32 PM.
    1 Laser, 4 CarveWrights, Star 912 Rotary, CLTT, Sublimation, FC7000 Vinyl, 911 Signs, Street Signs, Tourist Products and more.
    Home of the Fire Department "Epoxy Dome Accountability Tag and Accountability Boards".

Martin,

IMO, Epilog should replace them free till they make mother board that does not fail. Far too many times we read here of defective MB. How many others have same problem that are not members of SMC.
    I can understand failure of moving parts that wear out but mother board should be last part to go bad. How often you hear MB failure on PC? At $1200 a board I'm sure they are not interested to make it right.
    One major reason I did not buy their system is MB failures.
    Trotec Speedy 300 - 60w, with Quatro CSA-626 fume extraction
    Xenetech 1625 x2,
    New Hermes TX pantograph, CG4 cutter grinder
    Brady Globalmark2 label printer,
    Assortment of custom tooling , shears & punches, heat bender.
    Software: Xenetech XOT, Corel X3, Bartender label software

Quote Originally Posted by AL Ursich View Post
    That is another Great Epilog Story with a great ending and resulted in 12 posts already on the GREAT JOB Epilog did.
    12 posts already? You did realize this thread is a year old right?
    Lasers : Trotec Speedy 300 75W, Trotec Speedy 300 80W, Galvo Fiber Laser 20W
    Printers : Mimaki UJF-6042 UV Flatbed Printer , HP Designjet L26500 61" Wide Format Latex Printer, Summa S140-T 48" Vinyl Plotter
    Router : ShopBot 48" x 96" CNC Router Rotary Engravers : (2) Xenetech XOT 16 x 25 Rotary Engravers

Real name Steve but that name was taken on the forum. Used Middle name. Call me Steve or Scott, doesn't matter.

And Tony's point is right on.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7