Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Help with sharpening handsaw

Blog Entries
    I solved this issue today. I flattened the set out of the teeth, then I re-set the teeth using a small screwdriver instead of a saw set.

Tage Frid describes it in his book, "Joinery: Tools and Techniques". Frank Klausz also shows it in his DVD "Handtools, Tuning and Using Chisels, Planes and Saws"

The issue went away after setting the teeth again. Apparently, a tooth with too much set was causing the problem.

My +3.25 drugstore readers also helped because the teeth were all in focus.

Impressive, thanks for the update. It would not have been my first guess as to the problem. One suggestion I have seen to try and correct the set issue is to place a few sheets of paper on a hard surface and then press the blade flat against that surface. The teeth will press into paper, but, will be inclined to bend when they hit the hard surface. I have also seen people joint along the edge to file off any high spots.

Sadly, I have no practical experience; yet.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lowell holmes View Post
    I solved this issue today. I flattened the set out of the teeth, then I re-set the teeth using a small screwdriver instead of a saw set.

Tage Frid describes it in his book, "Joinery: Tools and Techniques". Frank Klausz also shows it in his DVD "Handtools, Tuning and Using Chisels, Planes and Saws"

The issue went away after setting the teeth again. Apparently, a tooth with too much set was causing the problem.

My +3.25 drugstore readers also helped because the teeth were all in focus.
    Good to hear the results on this.

Too much set can be as much of a problem than not enough set.

A recent batch of bandsaw blades came with so much set one doesn't need readers to see. The teeth stick out like points on a weather vane. My big vise doesn't have smooth jaws so a pair of steel plates were used and the blades are rotated through one at a time to get a more acceptable set. There is a lot less plane work to clean up saw marks after doing this.

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    I have an inexpensive drill press vise I bought at one of the box stores. The borg sells them now.
    It has flat almost smooth jaws the do a good job on compressing tooth set.