Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Number one rule for dog ownership

Number one rule for dog ownership

I've had my two beagle puppies for a couple of years now. Although I don't claim to be a dog expert, there is one thing that I can say:

Dogs like to have another dog around. My dogs spend most of their time within about three feet of each other, and I'm pretty sure that they are very happy to have each other.

I have a beagador (half beagle, have Labrador). We have a small house, he is 60 pounds, there is no room for another dog.

I have previously had multiple dogs at one time, and I can say there was a lot of "Spy vs. Spy" type stuff going on. One dog ambushing another, etc. It was hilarious, but it created quite a bit of wear and tear on the house.

I refer to my current dog (the beagador, named Roy Rogers when I got him and you can't change a dog's name from Roy Rogers w/o going to cowboy he11) as the "#1 invasive species." If I'm sitting on the sofa, he is there with me. At night, he sleeps at my feet (in my bed). At the bench, he is directly underneath.

So it looks like I'm the 2nd dog in this scenario.
    Attached Images Attached Images

I have two Labrador Retrievers. One eight years old and the other is now eight months old. The older dog is *just* barely starting to tolerate the pup. It got so obvious that she would literally get up and leave the room if the pup went over and laid down beside her.

Hopefully she'll come around.

I have two miniature long haired dachshunds and they like to annoy and one up each other. One is three and the other is 15 and I think the younger one keeps the older one going. They really are kind of like a couple of kids trying to get attention or have someone play with them. Sometimes, we have to hold the younger one so the older one can play at her own pace.

I probably am one of those people who treat there dogs like people. I have to admit that when I am home alone, I talk to the dogs and they look like they are listening. Yes, I am losing it very quickly.....

Blog Entries
    We have two dog who love each other to death. One is our 105 lb doberman, Legoz. The other is our mixed breed rescue dog who is deaf, named Pi. Pi has a bit of separation anxiety, so Legoz helps in that department.
    Shawn

"no trees were harmed in the creation of this message, however some electrons were temporarily inconvenienced."

"I resent having to use my brain to do your thinking"

We had a dog when I was a kid. One day my parents brought home a little bunny rabbit with it's own cage , but weren't sure how the dog would react since she chased everything that ran, flew, or slithered. Well our dog thought the bunny was her puppy and they were inseparable. When the bunny would stray too far from her she would pick it up by the back of the neck and bring it back. On a cuteness scale of 1-10 their relationship was an 11.

I think it depends on the breed. I can tell you, for example, that our German Shepherd would probably not be OK with another dog living in the house. He gets along fine with othert dogs in the park, on leash, etc, but if it were in "his house" and especially if it were around "Mommy" (my wife), there would be dominance issues. It has nothing to do with aggression, he's just a working breed and needs a job to do, which is tending the house.

I will say this, though: The smartest thing we ever did was get two cats at the same time. They spend 100% of their energy playing with each other. No destruction of household items or other bad habits and they are inseparable.

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Loza View Post
    I think it depends on the breed. I can tell you, for example, that our German Shepherd would probably not be OK with another dog living in the house.
    I guess that makes sense. My dogs are beagles, and they are very friendly dogs, towards people and other dogs. Maybe since they were bred as pack dogs, they are by nature compatible with other dogs.

I’m also a believer that most dogs need a buddy. We have two 5 year old labs that are inseparable.
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney

Dogs may like company, but my opinion is that they will bond with a person just as easily as another dog. We picked up a puppy when our last dog was getting old. About 4 months later my wife brought home another puppy. After that all training was nearly impossible unless the dogs were separated. They stopped fetching because one dog would run after the stick and the other would stay nearby getting attention. The other dog would turn around near the stick and think he was missing out so he would drop the stick and return. I would much rather have just one dog at a time.

We had a 2nd dog for a short spell last winter. Our 1st dog was devastated as he lost 1/2 of the attention he was used to. He was much happier when it was time for dog #2 to go back to my sister.
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. My desk is a work station.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    Dogs like to have another dog around.
    We have dogs that refute that statement. My wife has a 8 ½ year old Chihuahua, Dash, who does not really like other dogs, particularly females. When he was still a puppy we got another dog, Jerry, to be his companion. Well, Jerry ended up being more of a companion to me than Dash. Jerry liked Dash, but Dash never really liked Jerry and only tolerated him as much as he had to. We had to give Jerry away when we moved and Dash loved it because he was THE dog.

Dash paired off with my wife at a fairly young age and does everything in his power to be near her when she's home, and pines for her when she's not. We now have two other dogs, Stormie and Rain. They are sisters, 2 ½ year old female terriers. Dash tolerates them when he has to, but generally avoids them.

On top of that, Stormie is emotionally dependent on Rain and whines when they are separated, but Rain gets sick of Stormie, to the point that she often will not come back in at night after she's done her business, just to get some time alone.
    "Live like no one else, so later, you can LIVE LIKE NO ONE ELSE!"
    - Dave Ramsey

Blog Entries
    We just have (1) dog, a black lab named Mandy. She's getting older and slowing down. She just turned 12 years old last month and has been with us 11 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Cherry View Post
    I've had my two beagle puppies for a couple of years now.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruce Page View Post
    .....We have two 5 year old labs that are inseparable.
    Stephen and Bruce: Are they from the same litters?

Joe, both of ours were rescues, a few weeks apart. They are about the same age, male & female. They had a few good fights in the first few weeks but they have been buds since. Ella is the boss in the house and Kodi is the boss everywhere else!
    Please help support the Creek.

"It's paradoxical that the idea of living a long life appeals to everyone, but the idea of getting old doesn't appeal to anyone."
    Andy Rooney