Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Number one rule for dog ownership

Quote Originally Posted by Joe Angrisani View Post
    Stephen and Bruce: Are they from the same litters?
    Different litters, same breeder, and half sisters. So I guess they each had about the right smell right from the beginning.

I asked because litter mates are possibly one of the worst situations. The pups in question often bond for life, with little concern for bonding strong with their humans. Good to hear they aren't siblings, just great playmates!

I'm on the other side of the multi-dog fence, though. There is a tight bond between a person and a single dog that can't be matched in a multi-dog environment (a lot to be said for the old saying, "A dog and his boy....").

We have one Golden. But her brother (same parents, different litter) lives across the street, so we get the best of both worlds.
    2G.jpg

My mother used to have one dog at a time, but about 20 years ago, when one of her dogs died she realized she'd handle it a lot better if she got a second dog before the first died. She liked that enough that after the first dog died, she got a second one right away.

Jim's right, though. The dogs aren't littermates, but they're from the same parents, and they tend to spend more time with each other and less with my mother. They are also pretty competitive sometimes, and giving attention to the one isn't dominant provokes undesirable behavior from the dominant one.

There is also 10 times as much barking with two dogs as there is with 1. But I think it's better for the dogs, especially when they are kenneled (when my parents go somewhere) or when my mother is gone most of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by David Weaver View Post
    But I think it's better for the dogs, especially when they are kenneled (when my parents go somewhere) or when my mother is gone most of the day.
    That's my point- if you need to work, or go places, I think that the dogs are much happier to have another dog.

As a vet, I see both sides. Some of my clients have dogs that are inseparable, and others have dogs that hate each other. One of my veterinary technician's dog, a Husky, just about kills any dog it sees, so she has to walk it late at night. It's very variable. My rat terrier drives every other dog it sees bonkers trying to love them up, my Golden Retriever tolerates that, but on a walk she ignores every dog we see. So I have one dog trying to go over and play with every dog we see, and one trying to get away. Lot's of fun. They are trained well, so I just tell them to sit when we see other dogs, and they do that.
    Every morning I seize the day - but I lose my grip when I grab my coffee. <*//><

This is my boy .. Charlie the Beagle..

Dog breeds are all a bit different. I find Beagles need to be with the pack more than most other dogs I have seen.. Ours " bays " if left alone. We have a Westie, Terrier as well.. he is fine with the Westie ..

I have two dogs one is a Jack Russell Short legged and the other a bresire (sp) poodle thing from the pound wife wanted it, the only thing they seem to do together is get in trouble and mark my wifes shop daily she is so frustrated when the door to go ut is 10' away. By the way any suggestions on how to break this habit would be great also but love the little guys.
    Craig Matheny
    Anaheim, Ca
    45 watt Epilog Laser, 60 watt Epilog Laser,
    Plasma Cutter, MiG Welder
    Rikon 70-100 Lathe
    Shop Smith V510, To many hand Tools and
    Universal Repair Kit (1- Hammer and 1- Roll of Duck Tape)

Quote Originally Posted by Rick Fisher View Post

This is my boy .. Charlie the Beagle..

Dog breeds are all a bit different. I find Beagles need to be with the pack more than most other dogs I have seen.. Ours " bays " if left alone. We have a Westie, Terrier as well.. he is fine with the Westie ..
    That animal looks ferocious.

Blog Entries
    We had two male dogs, a Westie and a Carin. They tolerated each other, but were always marking their territory in the house. Not good. Didn't realize how much until they both passed and we took up the carpet. Now we look after my son's female boxer a lot, no such problem.

It is a crapshoot with all species; let alone breeds.
    My son and his roommate each have a cat. 90% of time they are hostile, and 10% best friends.
    They say not to own two birds if you want a pet because they will like each other way more than you; but I bought a second cockatiel and they stayed as far away from one another as the cage allowed. I had to give the 2nd one away.
    I can't take our dog to my BIL for Christmas because his aged half dead lab will attack my dog. Our previous generation (same breeds as now) got along great.
    Go figure.

Go figure.

I agree with the comment that it depends on the breed. There are breed specifics that have been bred into them over the centuries. Pack dogs indeed are easier to train to get along with other dogs. Pointers work in groups too. My German Shorthair Pointer was in an obedience class (50 all breeds dogs) as a puppy. Part of the graduation exercise they had to lay down in a circle of 6 other dogs about 3' apart. You had to leave the room for several minutes. Mine rolled over and slept. Some of the non pack dogs you could tell as they were nervous/jittery and couldn't wait for those several minutes to be up.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Morris View Post
    ...Some of the non pack dogs you could tell as they were nervous/jittery and couldn't wait for those several minutes to be up.
    Ya, that would be our Shep. Never sit still for that. No point to that in his mind, no "people to lead to safety", LOL...

Erik Loza
    Minimax USA

I agree. There is a certain personality type depending on the breed. I have 4 Shih Tzus and 1 American cocker spaniel. What I find is the cocker spaniel is generally the alpha dog and I'd have to make sure that I am there most of the time else she'd bully the other dogs. However, I also believe that it depends on the environment. My cocker is now more gentle especially with our 3 month old Shih Tzu pup.