Thread: Review of Joinery Design for 8-Legged Desk

Blog Entries

Review of Joinery Design for 8-Legged Desk

Hi all,

First post here. I'm excited to find this forum -- it looks like a great resource.

I made a promise to my wife that I now have to live up to. She fell in love with the Thomas Moser 8-legged desk. I previously made the mistake of buying a Thos. Moser table for her when I got busy with work and failed to complete the cherry table that is mostly done. So, I suggested to her that since I was retiring I could make the desk for her. If I don't complete it in a timely fashion, I will have to purchase the item.

So, I designed a desk that's inspired by the photos I've seen of the Moser desk. The question I have is with regards to the joinery for the rails. The desk has two drawers on each side with an open leg below. I've designed the desk as panels that set into rails, but this brings the issue of the attachment of rails to the legs. An exploded view of the leg/rail is attached.

Screen Shot 2013-07-31 at 5.12.38 PM.jpg

Perhaps it's bit small, but I'm using two sliding dovetails to attach the lower two long rails to the leg, a double tenon for the top long rail, a dovetail for the top short rail, and tenons for the bottom two short rails.

So, what do you think? Is a sliding dovetail in such a location a bad idea?

I appreciate you advise and guidance,

Mike

Are the sides of the panels mortising into the legs or do they butt?

what are the dimensions. My prejudice wants those rails to be turned 90 deg so the load bears on a narrower but thicker tenon or dt. Also, m&t instead of dovetails might require less leg material removal.

Blog Entries
    The leg is 1 1/2 square and the rails are 3/4. I designed it this way as I was concerned about the interference from tenons on 90 degree faces. The panels float in the groves.

Blog Entries
    Here's a view with some dimensions.
    Screen Shot 2013-08-01 at 2.25.31 PM.jpg