Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Took the plunge

Took the plunge

About a day ago, I ordered a PMV11 blade and cap iron from LV. It was supposed to replace the cap/iron I got on a #604 I just got off Fleabay that was almost gone.

I got to thinking, though. . .would this be a better blade for say, a jack plane being used to hog on rough cuts possibly? Maybe swap the PMV11 to the jack plane and use the jack plane's stock iron in the #604? The PMV11 would be more durable and faster to sharpen, so since I'd be using the jack plane much more than the smoother, I would think it would make sense, but since this is the first PM tool steel I'll have, I'm not real sure of the particulars of performance, such as maybe it holds an edge better than a stock iron and smooths better than one, also.

Opinions?
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Fueled by leather, chrome, and thunder.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    About a day ago, I ordered a PMV11 blade and cap iron from LV. It was supposed to replace the cap/iron I got on a #604 I just got off Fleabay that was almost gone.

I got to thinking, though. . .would this be a better blade for say, a jack plane being used to hog on rough cuts possibly? Maybe swap the PMV11 to the jack plane and use the jack plane's stock iron in the #604? The PMV11 would be more durable and faster to sharpen, so since I'd be using the jack plane much more than the smoother, I would think it would make sense, but since this is the first PM tool steel I'll have, I'm not real sure of the particulars of performance, such as maybe it holds an edge better than a stock iron and smooths better than one, also.

Opinions?
    I would use the thicker blade in the Jack plane, personally.
    Last edited by Chris Hachet; 08-02-2013 at 4:10 PM. Reason: Mis understood original post. Been a long week, and I am very tired.

Personally, I'd rather have a thick new blade (of any metal) in a jack rather than a smoother. You generally hear the opposite, the thinking being that the plane that needs to do the nicest work should have the nicest blade. BUT I like stock irons in smoothers. Smoothers don't stress the blade much as is, plus if you set the blade close its well supported so the a thin blade is even less of a problem (unless maybe you work nothing but purple heart ). I like the thick rugged blades in the planes that do the heavy work, planes where I don't want to be constantly stopping to sharpen and where that extra beef and stronger steel helps because of the stresses put on it.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

I go the opposite of Chris. My coarse planes use stock irons, and my finishing planes use expensive irons. I want the coarse planes to be easy to sharpen (and there is little that's easier to sharpen than a stock stanley iron).

I kind of like a thin lighter feeling plane with the coarse work, too. Strange as it may sound. Helps to be able to use the cap iron to greatest advantage even in a coarse plane to use the thin iron, though. I sure would much rather grind a radius on that thin softer iron, too. Save the PM V11 for its virtues, which is to hold its keen edge a long time and do it without chipping out when smoothing.

Also too add. If the choice is between the PMV11 and another thick after market blade in A2 perhaps, I would put the PMV11 in the smoother. Its a finer grained steel and it will hold that fine smoother edge nicely. My above post is assuming that one plane will get the after market blade and the other a stock blade. Even with that, I can't really disagree with Dave. Both options have their merits, and PMV11 is ideally suited for smoothing being a fine grained steel, its just when I have to choose where to put only one thick blade I generally towards putting it in am coarser plane. Tough call though.
    Woodworking is terrific for keeping in shape, but it's also a deadly serious killing system...

Blog Entries
    My first thought was to put it in your smoother...

Then got to thinking about where my blades are. It seems all my larger planes, jack to jointer have Hock blades and only my #3 smoother has a Hock.

My suggestion is instead of taxing your mind over which way to go, just buy another blade so both the smoother and the jack can sport the latest premium blade.

"For every problem there is a solution" - Joe Matheson - (played by Morgan Freeman in RED)

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

My suggestion is instead of taxing your mind over which way to go, just buy another blade so both the smoother and the jack can sport the latest premium blade.
    My thoughts exactly Jim! I would seriously consider just diving in to a new blade for both planes even if it means saving a little $ and buying just a plain LV/Hock 01 or A2 iron, you will certainly not regret the purchase.

The one premo blade dilema is a tough one. I might lean more towards the Dave's response on this one. The smoother is a bit more finicky to sharpen than the jack. There is more accuracy involved in getting the camber right in a smoother and getting the blade set properly after sharpening. The stock blades will take a very fine edge but show failure signs very early as streaking down your finished surface. Depending on what you work for wood these streaks can show up very quickly, sometimes before you get done with smoothing one board. I personally would rather have my smoother go longer between sharpenings, my jack plane blades are very easy to sharpen in comparison. And tiny edge failures are a non issue with such a rough surface left behind anyway. If planing across the grain I sometimes let my jack planes get dull to the point I couldn't even cut my skin if I tried, def not the best practice though. But if the plane is still taking coarse shavings in the dull state I would rather just get done truing the board than head to the stones, which is not possible in a smoother.

Blog Entries
    But if the plane is still taking coarse shavings in the dull state I would rather just get done truing the board than head to the stones, which is not possible in a smoother.
    You mean you aren't trying for those fine wispy sub-thou shavings with your scrub plane?

It should take a strong wind to float a scrub plane shaving away into the distance...

jtk
    "A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."
    - Sir Winston Churchill (1874-1965)

Blog Entries
    Mine is on my 604 smoother.

I have Hock Irons on my other Bedrocks. I'm satisfied with the Hock irons and Clifton breakers.

My first reaction is why are you stuffing around with all this new age stuff? I prefer the traditional approach..............

Seriously though, I also ummed and ahhed about whether to get one or two blade/cap combos for my 4-1/2 and 6 and when the one set arrived and you hold them up against the originals, there's no question which is the winner.

I'm with some of other guys, get two sets and your mind will be at ease (to concentrate on that next order).
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Hilton Ralphs View Post
    My first reaction is why are you stuffing around with all this new age stuff? I prefer the traditional approach..............

Seriously though, I also ummed and ahhed about whether to get one or two blade/cap combos for my 4-1/2 and 6 and when the one set arrived and you hold them up against the originals, there's no question which is the winner.

I'm with some of other guys, get two sets and your mind will be at ease (to concentrate on that next order).
    I finally wandered out of my cave and saw this strange thing named "PM-V11". I did not recognize the strange markings and was fearful it was alien technology. After much grunting with my fellow cavemen and having them try it, I have come to the realization it is man-made.

In all actuality, I've been pondering getting one of these since they came out. Since opinions seem mixed, I'll try it in my smoother, and if I like it, I'll get one for my other smoother and put the A2 blade it has in my jack plane.

Thanks, y'all! :-D
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

So, I slapped the new PM-V11 blade into my Bedrock 604 smoother.

All I have to say is if anyone happens to be on the fence, the PM-V11 is a worthy investment. It seemed to take finer shavings than any A2 blade I've put in my smoother. So, just for a follow up when it comes to posterity for future cave-dwellers, take the plunge. Get one of the new chip breakers, too. Well worth the money, and even though I've had 2 of the 2" be out-of-square and not bear down on the blade, LV has promptly replaced at least one (I'm guessing I'll have an email in the morning saying one is on it's way to replace this latest one).

Anyway, shout out to Rob for some stellar customer service and for coming up with (pardon the language) one helluva metal for a blade.
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Good report Adam. That's been my experience with it as well. 01 and A2 and old HC steel are lovely and will never go out of style but PMV11 has definite objective improvements in my experience. I only have one piece at the moment but there will definitely be more in my future as well. It basically takes an edge as fine as nice old HC stuff and holds it better than A2.

Oh yeah, like the new avatar, nice face!
    Last edited by Chris Griggs; 08-06-2013 at 9:24 PM.

Thanks!

Yeah, after tweaking it and playing with the PM-V11, I *almost* want to replace all my A2 blades. lol

I am just curious though. . .has anyone tried getting a LV blade without the microbevel?
    The Barefoot Woodworker.

Quote Originally Posted by Adam Cruea View Post
    I slapped the new PM-V11 blade into my Bedrock 604 smoother.
    That combination must rate as the best plane ever.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"