Thread: Curly Elm Canister

Curly Elm Canister

This is the second piece of wood I was determined to get to this summer. Robin Costelle had given it to me at the Tennessee Symposium in January but I couldn’t come up with anything special to do with it.
    I admit that I told him I didn’t need any more wood to turn when he brought it over to my car…….but I am glad he didn’t listen! Thanks for a very pretty piece of wood Robin!
    After roughing out the mesquite jar and realizing it was somewhat lacking in curves, I tried to accentuate them a bit more with this one. I was aided in that regard by trying to turn away a bark inclusion that ended up going pretty deeply into the blank.(The thicker dark line in the center of the canister is what’s left of it)

1.jpg2.jpg3.jpg4.jpg
    8 ¾” x 4 ¼” Finished with AO and buffed.

5.jpg
    The mesquite canister was a wedding shower gift for my daughter and the elm an anniversary gift for my wife.
    6.jpg
    Two nice pieces of wood given by two special people.

7.jpg
    Thoughts and suggestions on curves and forms are welcome and appreciated!

Great job on both. I like the shorter one a little better. Don't know why but it is very elegant and graceful. The elm is a little more spectacular.
    Fred

The elm one is my favorite, the wood is great and the form is just right. The pryo on the shorter on is very nice but its form is not quite as good as the elm canister IMO.

I like them both, Baxter, but I actually like the Mesquite more than the Elm canister due to the form and your pyrography. The Elm wood is spectacular and as I said, I like them both very much. You are going to make a couple of ladies very happy.

Very Well Done, Baxter! Philip
    Philip

Great job on both. Me I think the Elm is a little bit more to my taste. Just love the form and that wood is killer. Though the Mesquite ain't to shabby ether.

very nice......

Thanks for your thoughts. It is appreciated!

Both look fantastic Baxter. When I saw your mesquite canister, I really like it due to your form & the pyro effect. Now looking at the elm canister, it would be hard to choose between them. That elm is really a beautiful piece of wood & you did it justice with your shape/form. Great job on both!!!
    Billy

I like them both, but photos can be misleading. Just send both to me so I can make a hands on assessment. Of course they would be returned.

Those are both very nice Baxter! I've looked and looked and I'm having a hard time picking a favorite. The forms are different but I like them both, killer wood on the elm piece, really nice pyro on the mesquite.
    These canister forms went on my list of things to do after seeing Curt's, yours are another reminder that I need to get to it!
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

12. top shelf, Baxter!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Thanks again for commenting! Someday I will try another and perhaps hit a curve somewhere between the two.