Thread: Sealing grease spots?

Sealing grease spots?

So I sanded and cleaned the cabinets. Then I used a Zinzer latex sealer primer because that's what the lady at the store told me to use. It didn't work. I am still getting some grease spots bleeding threw the paint. After doing some reading It looks like maybe I should have used an oil based sealer primer for grease stains and was wondering if it was to late now with out sanding everything down and starting over. I used a Dutch boy high gloss acrylic paint and don't know if I can try the oil based sealer over the top of that or not now that it is on there. Any suggestions.

I'm sure many here will agree that the BIN sealer is a sure bet. Seals oil, grease ,lipstick,crayon,pitch, with one coat ,drys fast and compatible with acrylic or oil paint.

1+ for Zinsser's BIN sealer. It's white pigmented shellac it will stick to Teflon.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

Can it be purchased at the local box store?

I've seen it in lowes ,but almost all paint stores carry it too.

Yes. You can buy it from the Big Boxes. It's shellac based. In fact, you can also spot seal with regular shellac of you have it on hand and only need a spot or two sealed.

I never new that thank you prashun I might give that a try first. I think I have some old shellac laying around.

Old shellac laying around? If it's premixed it has a shelf life of about 3 years. Make sure it's de-waxed; which is better at sealing contaminates.
    Scott

Finishing is an 'Art & a Science'. Actually, it is a process. You must understand the properties and tendencies of the finish you are using. You must know the proper steps and techniques, then you must execute them properly.

I ended up buying the bin sealer since I was on a time crunch and didn't want to mess round. I wish I would have asked at the start because it would have saved me a lot of time and trouble.
    Attached Images Attached Images