Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Longworth vs Cole Jaws vs Vaccuum Chuck

Longworth vs Cole Jaws vs Vaccuum Chuck

I am new to turning and am working on getting set up to turn bowls and platters. My goal size-wize would be up to 16" or so. I plan to get the vicmarc m-120 as my main chuck, and am now working on a way to reverse chuck the bowls to turn the bottom. I am debating between the Longworth Chuck, Cole Jaws for the Vicmac, or a vaccuum system of some kind. I've done a lot of research which shows that most people that purchase cole jaws ($139) quit using them due to the effort to set them up. The new phenolic longworth chuck by looks well made, but I question how securely it will hold the work, can't find any reviews on it, and the expense of $169 is well on the way to a vaccuum set up that most folks really seem to like.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. If you use a vaccuum chuck, which is your favorite? I would be looking to purchase, as my skill level has a ways to go yet before I would be making my own jaws, etc.

Thanks in advance!

Joe

Joe - when I started turning bowls I picked up the mini-jumbo jaws for my Talon chuck. They worked but you had to watch how aggressive you were as it was easy to pop the bowl out of the grips. I then made my own donut chuck and found it to work much better at holding the turning. From there I built my own vacuum chuck system and it is by far the easiest way to finish the bottom of a bowl because you have total access!

Here are a few links for you:
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...w-I-Built-Mine
    http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...hucking-System

And here is a vendor who offers a complete vacuum system: http://www.jtturningtools.com/
    Steve

“You never know what you got til it's gone!”
    Please don’t let that happen!
    Become a financial Contributor today!

Joe,

Longworth, Cole Jaws, and Vacuum Chucks are not perfect substitutes. In some situations, one will work while the others won't. For example, you might not be able to use a Longworth chuck or Cole jaws to reverse a natural edge bowl, but a vacuum chuck will work just fine. On the other hand, a vacuum chuck won't work well with porous surfaces or extremely thin walled vessels (a vacuum strong enough to hold the vessel may crush it if the walls are too thin). For my money, the Cole jaws are the most flexible of the group. By rearranging the buttons, you can hold an out-of-round object. (You can even mount wooden blocks onto the jaws to hold an oddly shaped object, such as a natural edge bowl.) Longworth chucks are wonderful because they're extremely quick and accurate. But, when it works, a vacuum chuck is the ultimate because nothing gets in your way.

HTH
    David Walser
    Mesa, Arizona

A donut chuck is still the most secure way to hold a reversed piece, but it may take a while to recenter the piece. It also doesn't care if the power fails ;-)

Joe, You won't go wrong with the Vicmarc, they are a great chuck. have you considered using a 'dough nut' chuck. You can make your own and if made with safety in mind, can be very effective for reverse chucking. As you say some of the options can have limitations.

If I were to suggest to a newbie, I would suggest the cole jaws. simple, rugged, reliable. You, with imagination, can do 90% of what you need to do with them. You are heading to financial ruin anyway, as you get out your wallet for the vortex, so if you decide on a vacuum chuck in the future for natural edge bowls, well, that's the way it is, when one is addicted to turning.

I still use friction or jamb chucks most of the time and I have lots of Cole jaws and have used vacuum chucks. They are easy and effective and very cheap. Personally I would spend the money that you would spend on cole, longworth, or a vacuum chuck on extra jaws for your chuck or even another chuck as I feel those will pay bigger dividends in your learning and gives you the best bang for your turning dollar.

Alan

Quote Originally Posted by Michelle Rich View Post
    If I were to suggest to a newbie, I would suggest the cole jaws. simple, rugged, reliable. You, with imagination, can do 90% of what you need to do with them. You are heading to financial ruin anyway, as you get out your wallet for the vortex, so if you decide on a vacuum chuck in the future for natural edge bowls, well, that's the way it is, when one is addicted to turning.
    Hi Michelle,

How long does it take you to set up the cole jaws? Or do you keep them on a separate chuck?

Joe

I recently got the LW chuck, and it really isn't that secure of a hold. I've managed to pop 2 bowls off the chuck, BUT the bowls suffered no ill effects. They were both dislodged by a catch, and I'm pretty sure if I get better at using it, the chuck whould work fine. It is only designed to finish off that tenon or recess. I was trying to even out the thickness on one bowl and a little agressive on the next.
    I have no experience with the Cole or a vac rig. The Cole IMO requires too much work, if you have to swqap jaws, and/or button placement, and there are many complaints about the marks that they leave. I would also think you could put enough pressure on the bowl to shatter it.
    All of that being said, the best way is to use a jam chuck. I've not had any events using a jam chuck... It's also free. But since I got the LW, I've not used a jam chuck. The LW fits in the #2 jaws, so it's fast and easy.

David,

How long does it take you to set up the cole jaws to use? For the expense, it almost seems better to just get the vaccuum chuck, but maybe that is a purchase best left for after I gain some experience.

Joe

I would think a donut chuck, if made well may be the safest of other reverse systems. I use the cole from time to time on smaller items and items that aren't too fragile. The donut chuck can accomodate most everything, but takes a while to center the piece and bolt it in place. I've since made myself a vacuum chuck and use that most of the time, it's quicker and quite easy to center the turning. IMO, a good set of cole jaws and a vacuum chuck make a nice pair, there isn't one alone that will do everything.

Here is another link to a homemade vacuum system. http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthre...uck&highlight= I found the pump at a pawn shop for a $100 (reg $240-280) and got most of everything else from my salvage or Lowe's.

As far as which is better, I don't have a Longworth but I do have Cole jaws, several jam chucks (basically scrap turnings) and a homemade doughnut chuck. I use which ever one best fits the situation at the time although since I finished the vacuum chuck I tend to use it the most.

"The best things in life are not things."

Hi Joe: I have 2 sets set up on 2 chucks..one a oneway the other a vicmarc..I never take them off..but if you did have to swap out jaws it takes less than 3 minutes. It is not an insurmountable amt of time for a hobbyist turner. Is it fun? Naw, but chucks are expensive & 3 minutes won't kill you.
    these are used to clean up the bottom of bowls..that is ALL you use them for..even then you might want to get the tailstock up there until the very end..
    you can get extended rubber grippers, and use tape too to hold vessels on. you can make custom wood spacers and make set ups that the rubber grippers might not like..ie, bolws that have a flairing to the inside rim... The day I got my first set of cole jaws I was in heaven,. I turn & woodwork for my living and the cole jaws have made my life much easier than jam chucks or other homemade items.
    Now this is just my opinion, and it is worth what you paid for it.

For me, a vacuum chuck is the way to go. Why? It can always double as a jamb chuck w/ the tailstock brought up. I routinely bring up the tailstock center to center the piece on the vacuum drum anyway (the center point and the cup ring are still visible). For some pieces, such as those with perforated bottoms, vacuum cannot be used. Also, no matter what the design of the rim, and as long as it is somewhat of an open form, this method will work whereas cole jaws, donut, or Longworth might not. Finishing the nub at the center is all you have left to do, and that is pretty easy. As others have conveyed, a vacuum chuck makes turning a lot easier.
    Last edited by Mark Levitski; 04-21-2011 at 6:02 PM.

I have the Vicmarc 120 with Cole jaws and they only take a couple of minutes to set up. The buttons have 2 concave and 2 convex sides that you orient depending on whether you hold the piece in expansion or contraction mode. The screws on the Cole jaw are slightly longer than the screws for the stock jaws and the max safe speed is 800 RPM. You will want to finish everything you can on the outer edge of the bottom before you mount your piece in the cole jaw because the buttons will get in the way. This isn't as big a problem if you use them in the expansion mode.