Thread: Lacquer Questions

Lacquer Questions

Ok.....after the last two days, I now know more about lacquer than I thought I ever would, and am probably even more confused. To simplify things, at least for me..... I am just going to paste an email I sent to a couple of manufacturers.

We are a small custom home decor manufacturer. I have been playing around with using lacquer as a topcoat as opposed to a water-based product. I love the way the lacquer goes on, and the look. The only thing I had at my disposal was Deft Brushable Lacquer, which I thinned and sprayed on 2 to 3 coats with an hvlp gun. I did not sand between coats, as the products we manufacture are not a "high end" product. Everything worked great, except after drying for several days to over a week in a hot and dry climate, the packing material, sheets of thin packaging foam, stuck to the surface. I am wondering if the foam sheets reacted with the lacquer. For all practical purposes it seemed to be dry. I am wondering if a "precat" lacquer or a conversion varnish would be a better solution. I should also point out that I am spraying on a wood surface that has been painted (acrylic) and stained with an oil-based stain. Thank you for any advice you might be able to offer.

Wes, I have heard that certain plastics and even Red Cedar can cause issues with Nitrocellulose Lacquer, the plasticizer in the plastic reacts with the same in the lacquer, here is a document that explains the issue... http://www.aneitafern.com/images/pdf/fine_furniture.pdf item #1 I believe explain your issue..

Interesting article.....Thanks.....Luckily the info I was interested in was on the first page of the 12 page article.
    Wondering if that is exclusive to nitro lacquer.

ok.....one more question....I am changing lacquers, should be in next week, but i was wondering.....I had some things stacked with parchment paper (baking type) between them thinking that was a good idea, turns out it stuck also. So i was wondering if it was still just my general lacquer failure, or if the parchment paper might have something in it that would interact with the lacquer as the foam might have. I believe parchment paper is coated with silicone.....but on rare occasions I have been known to be wrong.