Thread: KaPow

KaPow

I live right beside I-210, it is adjacent to my back yard. It is depressed about 30' with about 30-40' from the edge to my back fence, which is a 16' high block wall installed by the State of CA. This block wall is also on top of a 3' berm. Still with me? What I am trying to say is that the freeway is over a 19' high wall, with 30-40' distance, and a 30' drop.

About every two months or so, we hear a loud bang when someone has a tire blow out. Today was different. We were standing in our back yard about 30' inboard of that block wall when we heard a really loud bang, and a few seconds later a 1 1/2 x 2" square of truck tire tread landed at our feet. That's at least 60' of horizontal flight, and about 50' of height.

Consider this my application for the worlds record blowout.

Rick Potter

WHOOOOWEE that was a close one. hope your nerves are still under cxontrol. Max

Hmmm, time for a flag pole in the backyard proclaiming "Don't tread on me!"

Glad to hear it wasn't the rim.................Regards, Rod.

I was behind a semi hauling steel coils when the 2 rear left tires exploded. Thank heavens in happened when it did and not a few seconds later as I was passing the truck!. It sounded like a 10ga. shotgun and there was rubber flying all over the place. It closed down I894 for a couple of hours.

WOW. I assume this was a retread? Or do original tires on semi's also explode like that?
    My three favorite things are the Oxford comma, irony and missed opportunities

The problem with humanity is: we have paleolithic emotions; medieval institutions; and God-like technology. Edward O. Wilson

All tires have the potential to explode. When they first mount them and inflate Truck tires is very dangerous that is why they use a cage.

This one was probably a retread, the piece was all rubber with tread on it. My son runs three gravel trucks, he always puts retreads on the trailer and new ones on the drive and steer wheels. It is very commonly done.

Rick Potter

A few years ago I was driving on the highway when a semi in front of me had a blowout. It sounded like a cannon was fired in my ear.

A truck driver told me that the pieces of shredded truck tires you see on the highway are usually not the result of retreads disintegrating. He said they are most often caused by brake malfunctions on trailers (like a break in the air line) that cause the brakes to lock. This destroys the tires and It can also cause a fire.