Thread: Square Paduk

Square Paduk

I've been working on this piece for the past few days, and finally finished it up tonight. The turning went pretty quick, but all the hand sanding took some time.
    This was made from another of the cutoffs I received last month (if you can all a 10" x 30" x 2" board a cutoff!)
    It's Paduk, and yes the shop is orange, the lathe is orange and my shirts are now orange.
    It's been a while since I turned any paduk and it reminded me how nice it turns and finishes.
    It's 10" x 10" x 1 1/2" and I gave it some little feet to stand on. So far it's just got 1 coat of antique oil and I'll probably add a couple more before buffing.

PICT0002-002.JPGPICT0003-002.JPG
    Thanks for looking!
    Comments and critiques are welcome.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Looks great, and its sure to catch the eye in person as Paduk is pretty rare these days in that size. P.
    Philip

Sweet piece. I'm so used to seeing the wings go down, it's a welcome diversion seeing them go up! Whodathunk!
    Wonderful flow and finish Kathy
    Laugh at least once daily, even if at yourself!

4. Really sweeeeeeeeet K! Great form and I like the bead, the upturned corners and the feet...nice work!
    Remember, in a moments time, everything can change!

Vision - not just seeing what is, but seeing what can be!

Lovely. Very nicely done.
    Lathes: Nova DVR XP, Delta 46-460, Jet 1014vsi; Bader III 2"x72" belt grinder; Triton 2.25 router; CMT Industrio table; Jointech fence; SC planer; Dewalt miter; Delta 14" bandsaw; Festool TS55, MFT/3, CT22, ETS150/3, OF1400, PSB300EQ, CXS; Hegner Scrollsaw; JJ-6CS jointer; Grizzly 1023s cabinetsaw, Jet 17" drill press; Rigid OSS; 9" SandFlee; 3M AirStream & Breathe Easy PAPRs

That is a wonderful piece. Proportions of the rim and feet are perfect. I have always been found of the coloration of paduk but you are right turns everything orange except on me the tannin turns my hands black and if I am wearing a sweaty shirt is turns it black. Pissed the wife off ruining clothes more than once with paduk.

I love this bowl, the simple bowl shape and the gently upturned corners are great. The small feet put it over the top.

That is very well done! I am very impressed! I love what you did to that wood. It's cool!

Thanks for the great comments everyone!
    I'm happy with how this one turned out and I've got some ideas for the rest of the board.
    "If it is wood, I will turn it."
    vor-tex: any activity, situation, or way of life regarded as irresistibly engulfing.

Very well done, and you're right about the dust/chip mess the wood makes. Thought that I would never get the stuff off everything in the shop (including me).
    On the other hand, I still have five fingers.

Great looking piece Kathy.
    Bernie

Never put off until tomorrow what you can do the day after tomorrow.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.

That's a super sweet shape on that Kathy! I really like the bead, it accentuates the change in form. Very well done, the carved feet are a stellar touch to this one, I bet it floats just perfectly above the table. Well executed.
    “I am enough of an artist to draw freely upon my imagination. Imagination is more important than knowledge. Knowledge is limited. Imagination encircles the world.” ~ Albert Einstein

i like your piece, the feet and the sqareness, do several more, they sort of grow on you

Some simple touches give it a very elegant look Kathy!

I like it, It's subtle in its beauty, I have a 5x5" piece of Padauk I've been looking to make a square bowl with as there is some sap wood in one of the corners that would be a shame to turn away. I've been avoiding it because of the "Mars-ification" to my shop. I'm feeling inspired now. BTW, Padauk shavings are great source of material for Mars related school projects, easier than the steel wool/water for rust method.