Thread: new office reception sign

new office reception sign

Hello all....I am new to the sign making arena and looking for some direction or advice for a new reception area sign for a company that I have previously made some cabinets for. (I have a cabinet shop). I am expecting my new cnc router within the next few weeks and hopefully plan on using that for the letters for this sign. Here is the request I got from the company, "I think it could be out out of solid wood so the corners are better, but you will let me know. Letters would be painted satin black and mounted with pins on our slightly curved wall behind the front desk. I'm also getting a transparent plexiglass with the light blue gradient painted on a film and attached to the back of the circle. This plexiglass circle will have to be attached to the back or the first "A" and to the wall with pins from the letter. The pins should be long enough to cover for the slight curve of the wall. I hope you are picturing what I'm explaining here. The result must be a pin mounted logo a bit off the wall. " So these would be individual letters cut out and mounted individually to a slightly curved sheetrock wall. The larger letters would be 3/4 thick and the smaller 1/2 inch thick. First of all should I be using a different material for the letters and secondly can I cut these out with sharp inside corners on my cnc router. thanks and please keep in mind that I am a complete novice.Brian

I have done many similar wall lettering/logos but using the laser and 1/4" acrylic, or CNC cut foam. The only problem with wood is having to fill any voids. For that thickness I would use threaded studs that have one wood-screw-like end and the other end standard threads. I would then use a plotter (for cutting vinyl0 with a pen in it to print out the file as a mounting template, eyeballing it is tricky if you haven't done it a lot before. You could line them up on cardboard with the studs in the backs, push down hard when aligned well then use the indentions as a pattern to drill the holes. Beware that the wall most likely has metal studs and you will hit them a few times and have to use a slightly larger diameter bit so the studs go in easily. Then I blow out the drywall dust with a turkey baster, put a little silicone into the holes and push in the letters. make sure to allow extra space between letters if the wall curve is concave. Your CNC will do OK with a very small diameter bit but it will not have the sharp
    inside corners that you would get with a laser. Most people wouldn't notice or care.

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

Hi Joe, thanks for the prompt reply. The customer came up with wood but would be open to suggestion for any other materials that you think would substitute for wood. It has to be finished black so for the thickness I could use foam? what do you suggest having done this type of work before? any advice would be greatly appreciated.thanks Brian

You need a high density foam, such as Gatorfoam, available at sign supplies. We spray acrylic enamel on it, works fine for indoors and some foams will melt with oil based paints. We have also done them with Wilsonart or similar laminate on the, and have done them with solid black for outdoors. Just apply transfer tape before cutting, spray black paint on the edges, then peel the transfer tape. This site might be helpful:

www lettersetc com/foam_letters html

Sammamish, WA

Epilog Legend 24TT 45W, had a sign business for 17 years, now just doing laser work on the side.

"One only needs two tools in life: WD-40 to make things go, and duct tape to make them stop." G. Weilacher

"The handyman's secret weapon - Duct Tape" R. Green

You might also have a look at the Gemini site for acrylic letters.
    Mike Null

St. Louis Laser, Inc.

Trotec Speedy 300, 80 watt
    Gravograph IS400
    Woodworking shop CLTT and Laser Sublimation
    Dye Sublimation
    CorelDraw X5, X7

I haven't used these guys, but I keep them bookmarked for "low budget" jobs..... http://www.inexpensivesigns.com/
    Martin Boekers

1 - Epilog Radius 25watt laser 1998
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2005
    1 - Epilog Legend EXT36 75watt laser 2007
    1 - Epilog Fusion M2 32 120watt laser with camera 2015
    2 - Geo Knight K20S 16x20 Heat Press
    Geo Knight K Mug Press,
    Ricoh GX-7000 Dye Sub Printer
    Zerox Phaser 6360 Laser Printer
    numerous other tools and implements
    of distruction/distraction!