Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rikon 8" Slow Speed Grinder

Rikon 8" Slow Speed Grinder

I got my Wood Magazine yesterday and notice Woodcraft advertisement for a Rikon 8" slow speed grinder. Looked it up noth the website, but doesn't show one listed. I take it this is replacing the previous grinder that had a number of returns? At least it will be from a reputive company.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

I just got a woodcraft email. They are offering it on sale for $99. Normally $139 I think.

I played with the new Rikon at Woodcraft about 2 wks. ago, and it seems to be a serviceable replacement for the older units. You will most likely need to align the wheels, just as the old models.

that's pretty good price, bought one for $80.74 in sept 05, time flies, i wonder what Wally paid

I got an email notice today from Jet - they've got a new slow speed 8" grinder out. Looks nice, but for turners that use CBN wheels, the cast iron wheel shrouds would be gone in a heart beat, as wood the really nice platform tool rests that are mounted to them for those of us that use a wolverine (or similar) systems. I wonder how much of the $329.00 price accounted for those two items...

Glad to see woodcraft is offerring the Rikon at the same price as their old slow speed grinder.

I was just at the Woodcraft here in the Chicago suburbs and no sale here. I believe it was listed for $129.95. They had a stack of them so maybe their getting ready to go on sale.
    Member Illiana Woodturners

Guys - I apologize. The email that I got from woodcraft listing the rikon grinder on sale for $99 apparently applies only to my store (Harrisburg, PA).

I thought most of the advertised sales were set up on the corporate level but apparently not.

However, I wouldn't be surprised if we see them on sale in the next couple months.

Jet has just announced an 8" low speed 'woodworkers' bench grinder. Don't know what the price will be yet. Definitely aimed at turners though, going by the picture. Comes with one Norton 3x wheel (blue) and one AO wheel.

Woodcraft lists it at about $330, so not a bargain, but hopefully a heavy duty machine.
    Last edited by Thom Sturgill; 09-18-2013 at 10:14 AM. Reason: added price
    Retired - when every day is Saturday (unless it's Sunday).

Just got the woodcraft flier today. Shows the rikon on sale starting sept 28. I think this is a corporate flyer?

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Masshardt View Post
    Just got the woodcraft flier today. Shows the rikon on sale starting sept 28. I think this is a corporate flyer?
    I got the same flyer, and there was a stack of the the Rikon grinders in the local store today, with the sale price.

It's listed at 99 on the Woodcraft site now.
    http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/208...d-Grinder.aspx
    It's only a half horse. Do you think it could handle a CBN wheel?

Rich

There was one at our local Woodcraft when we had our meeting last night. It is only 1/2 hp. I am not sure how it will work with the CBN wheels. The older Woodcraft no name grinders were 3/4 hp, and they were not nearly as strong as my Baldor 3/4 hp grinder. Time will tell.

Well, after posting this, I went to their web site and sent an e-mail asking if their grinders will handle the heavier CBN wheels, and sent a link to this thread. Hope to hear back from them.

robo hippy
    Last edited by Reed Gray; 09-28-2013 at 3:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Reed Gray View Post
    [snip]
    Well, after posting this, I went to their web site and sent an e-mail asking if their grinders will handle the heavier CBN wheels, and sent a link to this thread. Hope to hear back from them.

robo hippy
    Look forward to hearing what they say. But the CBN wheel I have is so well-balanced, so heavy, and requires such a light touch with the lathe tools that I can't imagine a 1/2 hp motor not being able to handle it. May take a bit longer to get up to speed.

David

I am curious to hear from members about their impressions of this grinder with and without a dway CBN wheel.

hippy i have one of the older woodcraft grinders which also has a 1/2 hp motor and am running two cbn wheels. not had a problem yet