Thread: lubrication for a push screwdriver

lubrication for a push screwdriver

I have the Millers Falls variant of the push screwdriver. It works but feels like a little lubrication would smooth it out. Is there anything recommended? I think the shaft with the grooves cut in it could use a touch of "wax" or whatever but don't want to attract grit. Or is there a way of lubing the inside mechanism I've ignorant of?

Before I ever got into this whole quality tool thing (my dad came from a poor family, so there was no time to worry about what was proper or what wasn't, you just used what you had), we had push screwdrivers and we never used anything on them other than machine oil. It's 30 years later, dad doesn't use them as much as he used to but they still work. We had two choices - light machine oil like 3 in 1, or motor oil (used motor oil for the outdoor equipment and junk stuff so as not to waste the good stuff).

It's 30 years later and my dad is financially secure, retired, and has chosen to blow a his money on a ridiculous number of old oil cans, so if he needs oil, he literally goes over to the window sill or above the window, picks up cans to see if there's any oil in them and uses the first can that appears to have something suitable in it, no matter how old.

Point being, I don't think it's critical what it is as long as it's something, especially if the screwdriver is not four star+ cesar chelor valuable.

Liquid Wrench penetrating oil dries hard, unlike WD-40. It's worked for me for push drills and screwdrivers.

wd 40 might be the only thing I wouldn't use because it doesn't last long. Definitely an oil of some type.

My push screwdriver has a hole for putting the oil in. That helps. Regardless of what you use or how you apply it (I believe I used tri-flow because it was handy) avoid putting too much in there. What seems like not too much on original application, even after working the mechanism back and for repeatedly, can make a mess of your work a day later when you go to use the tool. DAMHIKT.

That said, putting a little bit of oil in these things makes them feel like a new tool sometimes. If you've got one with the spring return, be careful the first time you use it after oiling. It can catch you by surprise. Another DAMHIKT moment that ended a little painfully.
    " Be willing to make mistakes in your basements, garages, apartments and palaces. I have made many. Your first attempts may be poor. They will not be futile. " - M.S. Bickford, Mouldings In Practice

Thanks all! I'll be modest with the oil.

Would a 3in1 type of oil work?

Shield Technology Grease Xtra might be just the ticket.
    "If you have all your fingers, you can convert to Metric"

Quote Originally Posted by Joel Goodman View Post
    I have the Millers Falls variant of the push screwdriver. It works but feels like a little lubrication would smooth it out. Is there anything recommended? I think the shaft with the grooves cut in it could use a touch of "wax" or whatever but don't want to attract grit. Or is there a way of lubing the inside mechanism I've ignorant of?
    Immerse the working parts in paraffin lamp oil or diesel fuel to see if you can dissolve any old oil and grime first. Let it soak for a couple of days, then oil it with Liquid Wrench Super Oil which is more sheer than 3-in-1.