Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First boat build - advice sought

First boat build - advice sought

Hello all,

I'm usually over on the Neanderthal forum, but often stop in here to browse as I've considered building a boat for 3-4 years now. At first I saw plans for a small plywood pram that looked like a good place for a beginner to start, then realized I would not get much use for it on the Great South Bay off Long Island's south shore.

I then read the small craft books at my library and really wanted to build a Dory from John Gardner's book, then I saw the Lumberyard Skiff from WoodenBoat magazine... Indecision and a young son kept me from committing.

Fast forward a few years and a friend and I realized we both had the same idea to build a boat, and have decided to try to do it together. We have this idea that if we spend 1-3 years of weekends and nights working on something, it should be useful in our bay - not just doing it for the sake of doing it. I'm the one with hand and power tool woodworking experience, and he has the sailing experience (plus some general carpentry/woodworking experience, and an artist's eye). In my younger days I had my Captain's License 100 ton inland, but let it lapse over 20 years ago. OK, background info done, on to the question!

We both like the layout and lines of the O'Day Mariner, a 19' fiberglass boat I'm sure many of you are familiar with, and a boat we feel is well suited to our bay. Can this boat be rendered in wood? Glen-L has some sailboats in plywood in the 17-19' range, just not sure if plywood is the best way to go.

Any and all input welcomed! I won't be offended to hear I'm crazy, as I've been married for 19 years so that's nothing new. I'm really looking for cold hard truth, age and experience, encouragement... whatever you have to offer! Many thanks in advance just for sitting through this long winded explanation.

Thanks,

Pete

Hi Pete, WoodenBoat Magazine has a great verity of plans for sale. You are not crazy, but then again it's me talking and I do boat work for a living.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Jim,

Thanks... I have been looking through them all night when I should be sleeping!

These look interesting:
    http://www.woodenboatstore.com/produ...d_Sloop_TRITON
    http://www.woodenboatstore.com/produ..._14_11_Catboat

maybe this is more realistic? http://www.woodenboatstore.com/produ..._Pooduck_Skiff

-Pete

I have a friend who is very knowledgable in the small boat world. You should check out his blog (doryman@ blogspot)The blogs themselves have lots of info on all kinds of small boats and there are many links to other sources. Most all of the info is from and about owner/builders. Im a retired wooden boatbuilder but mostly of larger yachts and commercial boats.
    I'll give you any help I can but start with Michael's blog.
    Paul M If God had wanted us to have fiberglass boats, he would have given us fiberglass trees.

Paul, Thanks for the blog info - looks very informative, will be reading more there. -Pete

Hi Pete,
    If you wan t to get your feet wet and not drown, start with the skiff. the Three magic words in the description are "no lofting required."
    What does it mean when you've accumulated enough tools that human life expectancy precludes you from ever getting truly good with all of them?

Quote Originally Posted by Aleks Hunter View Post
    Hi Pete,
    If you wan t to get your feet wet and not drown, start with the skiff. the Three magic words in the description are "no lofting required."
    Thanks Aleks, I did some basic lofting in mechanical drawing in Jr. High... but that was back when my phone number began with letters instead of numbers, and Jimmy Cagney was still alive ...long forgotten!

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Pedisich View Post

We both like the layout and lines of the O'Day Mariner, a 19' fiberglass boat I'm sure many of you are familiar with, and a boat we feel is well suited to our bay. Can this boat be rendered in wood? Glen-L has some sailboats in plywood in the 17-19' range, just not sure if plywood is the best way to go.

Pete
    A qualified yes to your question - if you can get some plans but the cabin and other details will need some rework to lend themselves to being built in wood. I agree with Jim Ritter's suggestion to find some plans from WoodenBoat. You will have all the drawings, details and dimensions that you need plus a great deal of support info from those who have built previous versions. There must be a boat in their library of drawings that will suit your sailing needs as well as the O'Day and even better satisfy your wooden boat building aspirations.
    "... for when we become in heart completely poor, we at once are the treasurers & disbursers of enormous riches."
    WQJudge

If you choose one that needs lofting I'd help you out. I often teach it, and love all the information that it generates when you know how to look it it.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

Thanks Sam. Searching through WoodenBoat now...

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ritter View Post
    If you choose one that needs lofting I'd help you out. I often teach it, and love all the information that it generates when you know how to look it it.
    Jim
    Jim,
    Thanks for the offer... I'll be keeping it in mind for sure - hope you're enjoying the nice weather today and avoiding the crazy drivers out there!
    -pete

Actually I'm in Maine at the moment gotta pick up my son at camp. But also stop at Lie-Nielsen and Liberty Tools. It's beautiful up here also.
    Jim
    Ancora Yacht Service

If you want to build a sailboat take a look at the weekender, by Stevenson projects. I have built small boats with a similar technique as they use, they are very simple to build and you can get boat that is useable in a weekend, if you don't bother with the finishing touches or it could take years to build if you take your time and make it perfect.
    Universal M-300 (35 Watt CO2)
    Universal X-660 (50 Watt CO2)

Hans (35 watt YAG)
    Electrox Cobra (40 watt YAG)

Glass With Class, Cameron, Wisconsin

I built a Stevenson Weekender about ten years ago. It's a good first boat if you want an easy boat to build. It was also a lot of fun to sail. If I was building another one, I would leave the cabin off and run seats all the way up to the mast. A friend did that with his and I think it is a much better boat because of it.

If you want to go with a more traditional style of construction, take a look at Ducktrap Boats. You might also want to take a look at Iain Oughtred's catalog of designs as well as John Welsford's designs. I've got my eye on an Oughtred double ender for my next boat.

Dave, thanks for the great info! -pete